Advice with my step daughters behavior at home and at school

My 5 year old step daughter just start kindergarten and is having a really hard time adjusting to school her behavior at home has gotten worse and she went from not peeing the bed to peeing the bed every single night. She refuses to listen to the teacher or us myself and her dad and it has even trickled down to her mother when she has visits with her. She has the symptoms of Oppositional Defiant Disorder since it lists everything she has been doing since she was 2-3 years old when her father and I first got custody of her. We have plans to take her to the doctor this week to see if her peeing in the bed is medical and to also see another child physiologist or psychiatrist since the last one she saw didn't help. Any suggestions are much appreciated thank you!

MissAngelaMarie

Asked by MissAngelaMarie at 2:08 AM on Aug. 17, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Bible stories/ music and time with relationships not Drs and Psychs ! you are giving her a complex, i am crazy!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 3:32 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Oh boy this hits home with me! My son is starting kindergarten and when he was in preschool, he had behavioral issues with his teachers and other students. His at home behavior was similar also, blatent defiance, yelling, talking back, ect. What it boils down to with my situation is discipline. Someone even reccomended to me the book called, "1 2 3 Magic". You can look it up on google.com for more info. If she thinks she can get away with that kind of behavior she will! Every child wants they're way no matter what they have to do to get it. But if you let her know, by you and your husbands consistant discipline, who the real boss of the house is,not her but her parents, she will eventually trust that you are in charge and be okay with it. I hope this helped! I know there are many different answers to getting a child to do what they're supposed to do,but before you spend all that money,rent that book from the library.
    mom4life2009

Answer by mom4life2009 at 4:14 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Thank you for your input heres the funny thing I started using that book when she was 3 years old and still use it to this day doesnt seem to help we are consistent and follow through with everything we do but she thinks its funny she laughs or smiles when your discplining her and she knows what she needs to do to listen its as if she just chooses not to regardless of what we take away from her. She follows the same pattern at her mothers house its exhausting myself, my husband,and her mother are just like we dont know what to do we have tried everything. Thanks so much again.
    MissAngelaMarie

Answer by MissAngelaMarie at 5:43 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Nothing wrong with an old fashioned bare bottom spanking.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:59 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Being divided b/w homes can be very traumatic on kids...what kinds of experiences has she had? Negative? Disruptive? Any consistency? For a Dad to get custody over a mom, there must have been something going on. It sounds like she is reacting to all this. It also sounds like you care for her a great deal. Please just don't label her if she has been through alot. I would find a good child psychologist and involve all parties to make sure everyone is on the same page. Consistency and love.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Aug. 19, 2009