• In the Spotlight:

gas drops

can a 10 day old baby have mylacon *sp* gas drops? my dd is just screaming because she has such bad gas but I don't want to give it to her if she can't have it. thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:14 AM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't recommend using gas drops at all. I've read somewhere a while back that they aren't the safest to use. I always just used chamomile tea. When my kids were newborns I would use more water than tea, i'd just drop the tea bag in for about three to five seconds just enough for the water to not be clear and remove the bag. Don't use honey or sugar or anything, just straight tea and water. Just remember you just want a tiny bit of tea with more water in the bottle.

Also, try bending her knees towards her belly, it's possible she is constipated which is why she is so gassy. This may help her have a bowel movement and give her some relief.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 2:23 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• ive used gas drops the entire time and my baby is 11 weeks now, perfectly healthy..give her that and do the knee bending thing..it really works, you have to do it for 5-10 mins.
    MaciesMommy09

Answer by MaciesMommy09 at 3:35 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I used the gas drops from the time he was 3 weeks old. I think if that is whats wrong then it doesn't hurt to try. The bottle should say that they are okay for newborns. Good luck
    konnorsmommy09

Answer by konnorsmommy09 at 8:46 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Yes, even a newborn can have Mylicon drops, the lowest dosage, and you can even put it in the bottle IF you are formula feeding. Read the label, you can give it after/with EVERY feeding. Yes, it's safe, and I didn't want them in pain from the gas. If you aren't sure, call your dr or call-a-nurse #. Congrats on the new family member!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 8:51 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Like the pp said, check with your ped if you are unsure. We used Mylicon drops - they seemed to help. The medicine does not enter the bloodstream, and it makes bigger gas bubbles into smaller ones, so the air is "easier" to pass. Good luck!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 10:55 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• The ingredient in Mylicon Drops isn't actually processed by your body at all...it passes through in its original state, so yes, it is safe to use on all ages of babies and can be used as often as every feeding if necessary. I'll tell you though, if the gas issues continue, get yourself some Gripe Water (something with Oil of Fennel and Sodium Bicarbonate in it...some varieties have more ingredients, i.e. Chamomile, charcoal, etc. but they aren't necessary). Gripe Water is Liquid Gold for burping and gas issues...you'll find it works better than Mylicon Drops. Good Luck.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 1:18 PM on Aug. 17, 2009