I know this is probably a stupid question but my colostrum has started coming in, if I don't pump will it go away?

I just reached 37 weeks. It only comes out if I or my husband touches, rubs, ect. my nipples. If I don't pump will it dry up? Also does that mean my baby will be here soon?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:34 AM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• No it will keep leaking until after your milk comes in
    MrsCarlton

Answer by MrsCarlton at 3:37 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• no, its not going anywhere. Its the first food your child will get if you choose to BF. It doesnt mean that baby will be soon. (although your 37 weeks so we KNOW it will be soon . lol) :) with my 2nd and 3rd child it started as early as 3 months.
    Mesha125

Answer by Mesha125 at 3:37 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I know you don't feel lucky, but I consider you to be. I didn't get mine in until after birth. This is great if you plan on breastfeeding. I think this means you will have plenty of milk for your baby. I had to supplement with formula for a lil bit until my milk actually came in per pediatrician's recommendation. Best Wishes!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:44 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• No it won't go away if you don't pump, i got mine in at like 26wks, the only reason you'd need to pump is if you get a breast infection before your lil one gets here.
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 4:37 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• wear nursing pads and wait it out. If you are planning on nursing, you are already ahead of the game. GL!!
    etsmom

Answer by etsmom at 6:25 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• That's normal for some women. I'm pregnant with #3 and started leaking a little at 18 weeks.

Don't pump. It can induce preterm labor and your body will not start to produce milk until after delivery any way.

After delivery you can produce colostrum for a few days before your milk fully comes in and that's fine too. Just feed your baby what ever your body is producing at the time. Nature has a great way of providing what ever your baby needs at each stage.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:40 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• When in doubt, think about Nature! :-)
    Mother nature has perfected this art of babymaking. It can really help to consider that most women around the world today and throughout history haven't ever even heard of a breastpump.
    I think that keeping this perspective can really help moms not to second-guess themselves so much in pregnancy, birth, and motherhood.
    No worries, mama, lots of colostrom to go around! ;-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:14 AM on Aug. 17, 2009