do you think its fair to cut school grants?

i know some states took away grants for college and CA is thinking about it. as a student i dont feel its fair because once i graduate and get a job i'll be putting the money back in... but im biased. i need other opinions :]

pookipoo

Asked by pookipoo at 3:46 AM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• It's so ironic that the states are now having to cut grants because of the recession and Obama is telling you he wants to up pell grants and provide money for students so more can go to college. The fact is the government has no money and this would come out of our tax dollars.
    Very little help has been given so far. I have 2 in college and as a middle class family we are having to get loans for our son(co signers) to go to college and when my daughters bonds are gone it will be the same for her. They will come out thousands of dollars in debt with nothing to look forward to except higher taxes. No matter what Obama ends up doing it won't help many who really need it.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:39 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• States need to cut costs. CA voted against higher taxes. There needs to be trade off. At some point cuts have to be made. If you don't want grants to be cut, I would suggest you work with officials volunteer your time to find other areas where to cut. But odds are someone else will find it "not fair".... Where does the line get drawn?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:02 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• No, it's not fair. It seems like education is ALWAYS the first thing to be cut.
    sunnymom3

Answer by sunnymom3 at 8:39 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I think there are other things that can be cut back on before they start cutting ANYTHING that has to do with education.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 8:49 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• There isn't any money to fund the grants. As sad as it is, everyone is feeling the pinch of the enormous bailouts that didn't go to the people it needed to go to. I would much rather the money went to fund things such as education than to an auto company that is going to fail anyway. BO claims to be strong on education and then gave $700 to banks and cars. We will have to go back to the old days where parents have to save for their children's education. Now, that's a novel idea!
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:59 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Correction - BO gave $700 million to banks, not $700. If it was $700, those grants would be funded! OOPS!
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:00 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I don't think it's fair to cut pay for contract workers and give them nothing but IOU's the banks refuse to accept. If it's a question of making people work for free while their kids starve or handing out a few less school grants, cut the grants. And I am saying that as a full time student.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:12 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Ask your parents for help.

Mine are dead, thanks.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:20 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I agree with all y'all ladies too. There are groups people can join in their area that essentially lobby to keep programs in place. I am not saying it works 100% of the time, but it can't hurt. The biggeesst hurdle is trying to find an area that CAN be cut and presenting it to gov't officials. Let them draw the line, but ask that they reanalyze the figures. I belong to on here in Ohio, because Strickland (our Gov) wants to cut funding to all public libraries by 50% by the end of the year. Libraries are one thing people who don't have jobs, school access NEED. Usage during the recession has grwon. People use libraries to research and apply for jobs on the internet, write resumes, etc.. While he wants to cut funding for libraries~Strickland has announced he wants to increase funding for “improve the forests”. WTF is that about?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:26 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• "Ask your parents for help."

Not everyones parents are well off enough for people to just ask them for the money. This is where grants come in. To help those who need it go to school, get a good education and put their money back into society once they start their careers.

I'm currently getting my Associates in Criminal Justice and recently received a letter telling me I qualified for X amount of money for grants. I will be sending in my request to hopefully receive those funds ASAP, but i'm not counting on it. I dont feel it's right for my parents to pay for my college. They have taken care of me for the first 18 years of my life, now that i'm 21 it's my turn to do something for myself so I can take care of them in my future.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 9:26 AM on Aug. 17, 2009