Engorged, Chills, Throwing Up, Slight Diahrea..?

I know those are signs of mastisis (spelling?). I cant go to the hospital or doctor for a few days (hubby already took 3 days off work to help with the newborn and we have a 1yr old with no sitter) so I need to know how to make myself feel better until then. Pepto Bismal makes me throw up immediatly so I cant use that. I cant lay down without feeling more like crap and I get the chills horribly. I havent slept in days (he was born on Aug. 13th) and need some help. Any suggestions at all would be so appreciated! Thank you in advance to all who respond.

SpiritedTigress

Asked by SpiritedTigress at 5:29 AM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The longer you wait, the sicker you will become. You can pump to get some infection out. I had a bad case with my last child. The doctor told me to pump and continue to nurse, but I still had antibotics to help clear up the infection.

Call your doctor any way.  Maybe he can send a nurse. ASK!

mom2boys1997

Answer by mom2boys1997 at 8:36 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• if you're engorged, let very warm water run over your breasts or use a diaper and fill it with hot water, hold them on your breasts for a few minutes then pump right away, it will relieve the engorgement....
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:05 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Nurse as MUCH as possible on the infected breast. This will help it from getting worse. I hope you can get in soon... that is so awful.
    LisaPisa

Answer by LisaPisa at 10:07 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I called my doc and told them I couldn't come in, so they just called in a script for me. Can your hubby pick up a script on the way home? Or ask a neighbor to get it for you?
    morethanme_you

Answer by morethanme_you at 10:30 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Call your doctor. I know when I had mastitis they just called in a prescription (it was after hours.) Nurse as much as you can on the infected side, pump, warm compresses. I know it is scary to have to ask DH to take off more work, but if you don't take care of yourself now, it will mean even more time off for him to take later if you get too sick to even function. Maybe he can at least get you some meds on his lunch hour.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:31 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• a girl i worked with had to be ADMITTED to the hospital for a bad case so then he will def have to take off more wrk, it will only go away with antibiotics. take a couple hours and get to dr or just call maybe the nurse could just call in rx
    melis1029

Answer by melis1029 at 11:08 AM on Aug. 17, 2009