should i write a birth plan?

i have been playing with different birth plans SINCE I WANT TO BREAST FEEDING ONLY but haven't decided if i will need one because some of my family thinks the hospital staff won't fallow my wishes. so should i make one or is it pointless?

mom2bedec2009

Asked by mom2bedec2009 at 5:49 AM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• No you dont have to write it .
    If you want to breastfed only then they WILL respect that.
    They wont feed your baby for you .
    IF you choose formula they would give it to you and let you feed your baby .
    You can write one up if you want but all you really have to do is tell your dr and the nurses at the hospital while you are there they will respect what you want to do with your baby .
    Will your baby be in your room or is it a hospital that always takes babies to the nursery ?
    If so i think if you strictly breastfed they can leave the baby in your room.
    All we did was tell the nurses when we got there what we wanted and my husband even got to help LOL he even helped with the first bath.
    Good luck and congrats..
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 5:55 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I suggest writing a birth plan! The nurses will do their best to respect your wishes if they are able to. But please know that sometimes things don't always work out like we plan. Sometimes adjustments have to be made. For instance I had a birth plan...some things I did or did not want....and in the end we had a c-section! As long as you are not disappointed in the fact that things may have to change...then you will do great! Also most hospitals offer a tour of the maternity wing, and I highly recommend this, you are able to ask questions and know what to expect a little so that you do not feel so overwhelmed when you come in and are in labor! Good Luck Momma!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 7:36 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I haven't wrote a "birth plan", but I have gave my husband a detailed list of do's and don'ts in the hospital. I gave him the power to make the decsions, I trust him alot
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 8:07 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• and plus, he's better at thinking in sitiuations like that
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 8:08 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I wrote a birth plan with my second born. I made sure I kept a copy to remind the nurses of my wishes. They did mostly OK, but did bottle feed my sone once when they took him back to do shots.
    mom2boys1997

Answer by mom2boys1997 at 9:01 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I never had one with any of my 3 kids. And my hospital never did anything I didn't want them to do.
    fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 9:02 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I suggest writing a birth plan and making it short and sweet and giving it to the nurses with a gift basket of some sort. Some hosptials/nurses will do whatever they feel like and ignore the birth plans and some are very good about doing what mom wants. If it is just for nursing and not the birth itself then I would just have SO be with baby at all times and insist that they do all exams in your room (you can do this even though the doctor's don't like it) and make a huge sign to put on the bassinet thing stating simply NO ARTIFICIAL NIPPLES OR FORMULA.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:11 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I had a birth plan, and while the birth itself didn't go anything like the plan, I was glad I had instructions for afterwards. I had one nurse who was a bully, and told me that she didn't believe in mother's breastfeeding while in the hospital. She was the one who told me at 2am that if I didn't give my son formula that she would call CPS and tell them that I was refusing to allow my child to be fed. NOTE: I was breastfeeding every hour, and had my son in the room with me. He wasn't starving! DH finally had our doctor and an LC paged when the nurse wouldn't back off. The hospital we were at has a strict policy that all babies are taken to the nursery at midnight to be bathed and weighed. I made sure DH always went with our son, as that nurse would try to make him bottles of formula. The real kick is that the hospital bills for that, and insurance won't cover it. I wasn't paying for something I didn't want!
    BearsMommy

Answer by BearsMommy at 9:34 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I think it's a good idea. As a birth doula, I have personally witnessed nurses directly referring to birth plans.
    Besides, I've heard a lot of moms complain that their baby was given bottles against their wishes~ the BP would only just help, hopefully.
    Good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:07 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• i had one but didn't use it...i just told my DH that when my baby was born to tell them NOT to feed her....she was a c-section and I wasn't going to see her for about and hour so I just told them to wait and I will breastfeed her when she comes into my room....they don't need to eat right away and aren't very hungry to begin with so just let them know, if that's your only concern. They will listen.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:08 AM on Aug. 17, 2009