When did your kids learn this "game"? And how did you deal with it?

You know the game... Im going to throw my toy across the room from my chair and you WILL pick it up or I will cry.

My son is five months old and figured this game out the other day and has been perfecting it since...

HELP!!!!

MarchMarie

Asked by MarchMarie at 7:35 AM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Pretty early. As soon as they could grasp something, I guess. Momma didn't play that game. After a couple times when I felt it could be just trying out a new skill, the toy remained where it was, crying or not.

Answer by Bmat at 7:45 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I agree, if you don't pick it up, he won't throw it again.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 8:02 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Either play the game (which all it is is a game to them) or stop picking it up. OR pick it up and put it in a cabinet (so he can see you do it). When he cries for it - give it back. When he throws it again - put it away again, and divert his attention to something else. It's all in what you do. He's testing your reaction to his demands. It's normal.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 8:05 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• don't pick it up, and tell him "NO".
    -OR-
    don't give him any toys at the table. thats what we do.
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 8:18 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• A 5 m/o can't comprehend "No". They will learn "cause & effect". (because I throw it, you pick it up or don't) Do you have an excersaucer? Or a bouncer with toys above it? Can you tie or attach things to his chair, so if he throws them or drops them, HE can get them back? Why is he in the chair? If eating time is over, let him down. Put him on the floor or in a playpen with some toys just out of reach, so that he'll learn to scoot towards them.

BTW, until they are 2 y/o, their job is "exploring" and learning how the world works. You should redirect them by giving them a toy or removing them from dangerous things (make them safe or get rid of them). Whether or not a child "knows better" depends on the age & maturity of the child, and he still can't predict the consequences of his behavior until around 15-18 months, and even then is still just "exploring".
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 8:44 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• The first time he threw it, I'd pick it up and give it back to him. The second time he threw it, I'd pick it up and tell him "If you throw this again, I will not give it back to you." Then I'd hand it to him. The third time, I'd pick it up and put it out of his reach. Eventually I dropped it down to only two pick-ups before I took it away (warning on first, take it away on the second).
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 9:20 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• That's easy. Don't pick it up.

goddessmonica

Answer by goddessmonica at 9:26 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Yep..don't pick it up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• a 5 month old , I FEEL, can't understand the concept of "No, we don't throw things." but will get it if you don't pick it up...he's too young for "no".
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:52 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I use to pick them up and put them by the toy, that would usually confuse them enough to put a pause to the game for a few minutes. The game goes on for a lifetime in one form or another. Welcome to parenthood!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 9:56 AM on Aug. 17, 2009