Is Fate in Your Own Hands?

Once upon a time, there was a general who was leading his army into battle against an enemy ten times the size of his own.

Along the way to the battle field, the troops stopped by a small temple to pray for victory.

The general held up a coin and told his troops, "I am going to implore God help us crush our enemy. If this coin lands with the heads on top, we'll win. If it's tails, we'll lose. Our fate is in the hands of God. Let's pray wholeheartedly."

After a short prayer, the general tossed the coin. It landed with the heads on top. The troops were overjoyed and went into the battle with high siprit.

Just as predicted, the smaller army won the battle.

The soldiers were exalted, "It's good to have God on our side! No one can change what they have determined."

"Really?" The general show them the coin--both sides of it were heads.

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 7:59 AM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I believe our fate is in our own hands. What would have happened if the army would have gone into battle thinking that they would lose? They naturally would have been defeated before the battle even began.

God(s) do not choose sides... people do. Using a higher power as an excuse to fight others is just the best way to go about justifying a cause.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:45 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• sometimes its just a sugar-pill.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:12 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I posted this because it really bothers me that everyone thinks their God is on their side- that they are fighting and winning or losing because it's his will, but in all actuality, they are fighting because it's THEIR will masked by a perverse understanding of what their God wants or desires of them. They are using their God as an excuse to go into the world and cause violence, death and destruction.

Do Gods choose sides? If so, one of those sides is totally drunk with false illusions and the blood of their enemies is only quneching their human need for self fulfillment and validation that they are doing the right thing.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:21 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I posted this because it really bothers me that everyone thinks their God is on their side
    **********************************
    Really? Because I think my God is on my side it bothers you. Does this keep you awake at night? I simply dont understand why you would take so much concern about what I think about God and if I think hes on my side. I do happen to think that. My Bible states that my God will never leave me, nor forsake me and I truly believe that. He has never left me or let me down. The battle that I am fighting is lifelong and the end is already been determined. Gods always on my side and though I mess stuff up and fail at somethings, that doesnt mean that God has walked away. That usually means that I walked away. I dont do anything that I dont feel God has told me to do. I dont just step out and risk my life, my money or my kids and say, okay God, help me out. I have to have a clear direction from God first.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:56 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• not everyone thinks as you do, op. therein, lies the difference. you seem to think people move in wicked, perverse ways against humankind because of their belief in God(s). some people have no belief in any god, and still behave in this manner.
    why not rejoice in the fact that humankind does have a heart, and most use it for good? most people i encounter 'use their God as an excuse to go into the world' and do good for their fellow man. not everyone has blood on their hands. there's no false illusions here, my friend. self-fulfillment comes with maturity of will and acceptance of the human nature that no all will follow the same self-indulging destruction. some validate their actions by blaming someone else....whether that someone else is God/a god, or their own self.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:59 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• ..oops..''that NOT all will follow.."
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:00 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I think this is a great example of how we can achieve anything when we believe it! I think I might pass this on to my team! Thanks!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:23 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• momofsaee,
    Calm down. You are taking what I said totally out of context. I don't CARE if you think God is on your side, what I'm saying is that people of other beliefs have just AS MUCH FAITH that your god is on THEIR SIDE. There are extreme differences in what Christians, Jews and Muslims believe and they all can't be right, so which side is actually doing God's will? Eveyone likes to think their side of course...

thehairnazi,

There are wicked and good people in all walks of life, I am not denying this. Religion and god have caused more violence, war and death than not. Do some religious people do good things with their fiath? Sure they do and so do many people who aren't religious. The difference is, those that aren't believers do it because they love their fellow man not because they fear what their God might think if they don't.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:14 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• What this parable is saying is that man can accomplish great things if they only set their mind to it. They only need to believe to achieve. Regardless of where they think that belief stems from, in the end, it ultimately comes from within.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:15 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• No man goes to battle thinking their creator is on the side of their enemy. .
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:36 AM on Aug. 17, 2009