Going back to work with a breastfed toddler.

My almost 13 month old has been EBF since birth. Her doctor told me to start her on cow's milk now 'cause she's not gaining enough and needs more fat. Well, I'm starting a new job next Monday and am worried about my DD 'cause she will not take cow's milk. She will drink juice or water out of a sippy cup, but refuses to drink the milk. I even put expressed breastmilk in the sippy cup and she spit that out too. She also is real picky when it comes to table food. She thinks its a game when she eats and throws most of it on the floor. I can only really get her to eat a few fruits, chicken sometimes, bread, cheerios and puffs, and peas and corn is the only veggie she will eat when she does want to eat. I'm just worried about being gone from her for 10 hours at a time and her not eating right. Oh and I also tried soy milk, she spit that out too. Anybody have any tips or know anything I can do?

ABPeterson

Asked by ABPeterson at 8:37 AM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Not trying to bash....You are allowing her to be picky. I Put food and drink in front of my kids, they either eat and drink what I put in front of them. Or don't and eat and drink at the next meal.

If you give her only cows milk or water. She will drink the milk.

Answer by louise2 at 8:46 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Said, "don't eat or drink at the next meal" Meant "don't eat or drink tell the next meal".

Answer by louise2 at 8:49 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• She doesn't HAVE to drink milk - will she eat yogurt or cheese?

Answer by missanc at 9:30 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• It's really not that important that she have milk. She can get the nutrients from other sources if she doesn't drink it. However, if you only offer the milk, she will drink the milk.

As for being picky, I agree. Put the food before her and if she eats it, great. If not...no more food until the next meal. She will eat. Do not become short order cook for her or you're going to have even more trouble later.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:32 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• there are other ways for her to get her dairy,also try ramon noodles my little one loves noodles.when i was working i would call on my breaks to check in.just keep offering milk.good luck
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:40 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Um, breastmilk has fat...
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 11:43 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Um..since I took my girls bottles away 2 months ago , they haven't had milk since then. Try to give her any kind of cheese, any kind of yogert ( my girls like trix yogert). The milk will come later:)
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 11:45 AM on Aug. 17, 2009