Do Any of Your Teens or Preteens Smoke?

Just wondering how other mom's deal with their children that smoke? My 14 yr old niece smokes and my sister feels she'd rather her daughter smoke in front of her than sneak around. My sister is a smoker too so she feels she really can't tell her daughter not to do something she herself does.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:03 AM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Another reason why parents should not smoke, especially around their children. Studies have shown that if a parent smokes, there's a very good chance their children will too. No, my children don't smoke and I don't smoke either.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 9:14 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• That is the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard. She can tell her daughter not to smoke, and should demand it. It doesn't matter if she smokes or not, she needs to have a very serious conversation with her daughter and being honest that she is a bad example but it shows how addictive it is. Who is paying for the cigarettes, make cost a factor. You could have 3 packs of smokes a month or 2 new shirts to wear. You really have to get on her level.. and be honest. Good luck to your sister i hope that they both can quit ;)
    ashjacks4

Answer by ashjacks4 at 9:19 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• my brother and I smoked in our teens.
    our parents found out and they made a joke out of it, then they buckled down.
    but they were all like sooooooooo whatever happened to you guys telling US to quit? lol
    kittenripmaygo

Answer by kittenripmaygo at 9:40 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• are you kinding me omg that is so bad... um its a law she cant buy them herself then she cant smoke end of stoire. that what i would say. i dont smoke but my moms dose and she let my lil brother smoke he is only 16 and i told them both i was going to turn her ass in if she kept it up. its noit right no one should smoke its bad for you and if ppl where ment to smoke we would be born that way. she needs to grow up and be a mother not a friend.
    jacobmommy62106

Answer by jacobmommy62106 at 10:32 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Hell why doesn't she just walk out to the street corner and buy her some pot or cocaine while she's at it? I mean after all if she's going to do it, she's going to do it, right? I can't stand people who have the "well they are going to do it so i'd rather them do it in front of me than go behind my back".
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 1:47 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• "if ppl where ment to smoke we would be born that way. "

Just curious how that would work out?
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 1:48 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• My 17 year old smokes. She started at 13, I knew she was smoking but couldn't actively catch her. I finally caught her when she was 16. We discussed it - I won't buy cigerettes for her and I would rather she quit. However, I can not force her to.
    MysticFerret

Answer by MysticFerret at 2:05 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• my mom smoked. i try it once EWWWW. as for my kids still to youn. but i dont smoke nor does dh. IF IEVER CATCH MY KIDS SMOKING I WILL SLAP THE HELL OUT OF THEM. SIMPLE AS THAT
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:43 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• it would work thats my ponit no one should smoke. and you shouldnt let your kid smoke thats just wrong if i ever found out my son was smoking i would beat his ass. and i would do whatever it took to make his stop. and i wouldnt stop until he was smoke free cuz thats how much i care about my son and i think if you let your kids smoke you dont care about them but thats just me.
    jacobmommy62106

Answer by jacobmommy62106 at 9:41 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Unfortunately there's absolutely nothing she can do to forcer her to quit. I was grounded continuously as a teen for smoking and it did nothing. I was yelled at and everything else that you can think of yet I still did it. I am curious though as to how a 13 year old can afford it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:26 PM on Aug. 21, 2009