Paying for your childs education

How do you get full/partial scholarships for college? Is it hard?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:06 AM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• The school counselor should be able to give you information. Also check with the college that is being considered.

Answer by Bmat at 9:10 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I will add on to the PP:

www.fastweb.com

Savings!

If your child is attending a state university, contact your state and federal members of Congress.

Strongly encourage your child to take (and do well in) as many advanced placement (AP) classes as possible, including taking summer school.  A high score on an AP exam is one less college class to pay for.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:14 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I just went through with this with my 17 yr old daughter. It's all up to her to fill out the scholarships. That didn't go very well. Her dad & I ended up with a PLUS loan this year for her college. NO we didn't want it but as the loaner said "she's under 18 and you have to have a loan because of her age" WE were trying to have a loan just under her name but.....things happened.
    I wish we saved when we first got married just for our children's college future. And I also wish we had better jobs so we could put more money down on the college funding.
    bmwlover

Answer by bmwlover at 11:43 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Children need excellent grades or sports/musical ability to get a lot of scholarships. My son will be paying for college just like I did, ON HIS OWN. I am a single mother and don't have the extra money for him. I can barely pay for the basics, college tuition is up to him. Kids appreicate college more when they are the ones paying for it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:33 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• "Children need excellent grades or sports/musical ability to get a lot of scholarships"

Kids who don't play sports or aren't involved in other activities can still get grants to help pay for college. They don't have to fully rely on scholarships.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 11:48 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I'm using grants and financial aid to pay for school. Yea I'll graduate with student loans but I'm going to school to better my future. Have your child apply online for different scholarships the school they're going to offer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:24 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• check with your local college, or I'm sure there is n online database out there somewhere. You do NOT only have to have athletic/musical or excellent grades for scholoarships. Lots of different companies offer scholarships, for various reasons. Your child can compete for these with essays usually. Your local american legions and such usually offer shcolarships as well. They are also offered just by going into certain careers. They are out there everywhere! it takes a little ingenuity to find them sometimes but there are a lot of opportunities out there you just need to dig.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Aug. 22, 2009