Why does my two year old scream when we put him to bed?

For the past 2 weeks my two year old son screams and jumps out of his bed when we put him down for the night. As soon as I pick him up he starts falling back to sleep on my shoulder so I know that he's tired. Bedtime has turned into a 45 minute routine when for over a year now he's been going to bed with no problem and sleeping thru the night. He's also been waking up in the middle of the night crying and getting out of his bed. Does anyone have any suggestions. My husband and I are getting very sleep deprived.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Could just be that he's decided he wants to control bedtime. Maybe one night you let him slide by with an extra minute here or an extra snuggle there and now he's decided he wants to stay up or just stay with you. It happens sometimes. He could be getting his molars and just be cranky and in pain. Maybe some oragel before bed. Waking up could be bad dreams, hungry/growth spurt. Could be getting sick, too.

It's so hard to tell. Does he communicate well? Try to get him to talk to you or show you what he wants
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• He knows it bothers you. He has found his way to escape bedtime. Dont give in to him.
    Rosesandlilys

Answer by Rosesandlilys at 8:51 PM on Aug. 17, 2009