Any tips on getting my 6 month old to drink water?

I have tried giving him water in a sippy cup, just by itself... he will only take a couple sucks, then he is no longer interested. I have also put a teeny bit of juice in there and then diluted it with water... but he loses interest quick. I know that they say that he should be drinking between 4-6 ounces of plain water a day... but he doesnt even get an ounce... is that bad?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• WHo told you taht?? That's false...babies that young should not have water..they get all they need from BM or formula....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_poisoning

Low body mass (infants)
    It can be very easy for children under 1 year old to absorb too much water, especially if the child is under nine months old. Because of their small body mass, it is easy to take in a large amount of water relative to body mass.[3]

calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:57 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• His pedi told me to start giving him water at his 4 month check up. She said 4 months, 4 ounces, 5 months 5 ounces... and so on. And if we are outside at the beach etc... give him 2 more ounces addedon. (we live in fl, so its very hot). I have also gotten info from wic saying that babies between 6-8 months should be getting 4-6 ounces of plain water a day plus some juice... so I dunno who to believe....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I have never heard giving a baby water daily.
    countrygirls422

Answer by countrygirls422 at 10:01 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• read the website I posted...I live in Las Vegas, so I understand HOT....they need more FLUID but not necessarily water....please read the article on the website. BTW, doctors don't know EVERYTHING>
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:03 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• BTW, my daughter will be a year on Sunday and has NEVER had water and it's 115' here....just give more fluids meaning BM or formula, not even juice. they don't need it.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:04 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• ok thanks for the info
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• im a pediatric nurse myself and yes that is 100% false
    anarose26

Answer by anarose26 at 10:16 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• No one ever told me to give my son water. They said I could start trying to give him a little juice or water here and there just for him to try as he gets older but they said he didn't really need anything other than his formula. He's almost one now so he has water in a sippy at meals but he still drinks more formula than anything.
    r_elizabeth2290

Answer by r_elizabeth2290 at 10:34 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• i've never heard of HAVING to give baby water. I put it in a sippy for my son, because its less messy when learning the sippy.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 11:02 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Your pediatrician is obviously a dunce. Get a new pediatrician.

4 oz of water will replace an entire feeding session -- MORE than that if you're breastfeeding. He could get water intoxication or WORSE low potassium or sodium/imbalanced electrolytes - which could cause heart irregularities or other issues. Bad idea!

If he is hungry/thirsty enough to drink 4 oz of water, he's hungry enough to drink 4 oz of formula or get extra breastfeeding sessions.

If you're breastfeeding -- YOU drink extra water and breastfeed more. If you're not, and he takes water, replace the water with formula.

Water in a sippy at this age is for practice/fun. Not for drinking.
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 1:07 PM on Aug. 17, 2009