Which last name will my baby get?

My boyfriend is the father of my baby. In the even we don't get married before he's born does that mean his last name (bf's) can't go on the birth certificate as the baby's?

msnicole88

Asked by msnicole88 at 10:01 AM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You'll put his name on the paperwork, sure, but you don't have to name your baby his name. You can, of course. Or your name, or make up a new one! You get to decide! ;-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:03 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• My mom gave us our dad's last names and she was never married to them (3 kids w/ 3 diff. dads). I gave my son his dad's lastname and we weren't married. You can really name your kid whatever you want.
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 10:04 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I wasnt married to my daughter's dad and I still was able to give her his name.
    misspriss_1987

Answer by misspriss_1987 at 10:08 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• you can put whatever you want....I never took my hubbys last name but gave it to my daughter. personally, if it was a boyfriend, I wouldn't use his name, but that's just me.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:11 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• You can give the baby the father's last name, but one thing to beware of not that this would happen, but if you would get into a not very good situation with the baby's father, if the baby had his last name he can take the baby whenever he wants to. My sister went to a lawyer about this very situation and that's what she was told.
    smltwnmom

Answer by smltwnmom at 10:12 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• i put my last name just because it would be easier for us to both have the same last name, ie less confusion on school papers. however if his father and i ever got married (which is a very big IF) then i would change it to his name or put a hyphon. its really up to you, whatever you want.
    AdensMommy1107

Answer by AdensMommy1107 at 10:17 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I'm not sure about the whole "if the baby has his last name he can take him whenever he wants". I was told that unless you're married the dad has no rights to the child unless he takes you to court for visitation or custody.

The baby can have whichever name you choose. My bf and I gave our baby his last name because we do plan on getting married and it's just less confusion. He just had to sign a paper that he agreed this was his child and he didn't want a paternity test.
    r_elizabeth2290

Answer by r_elizabeth2290 at 10:24 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

The baby can have whichever name you choose. My bf and I gave our baby his last name because we do plan on getting married and it's just less confusion. He just had to sign a paper that he agreed this was his child and he didn't want a paternity test

i did the same thing with my two kids....but since i was not married i gave the kids my last name as a second middle name though.......it worked out lol

MamaSusieQ045

Answer by MamaSusieQ045 at 10:29 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• My husband and i did not get married until 2mo. after our first baby and we put his name on the birth certificate with no problem.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• yes he can have the bf's name if you want it that way

Answer by admckenzie at 11:00 AM on Aug. 17, 2009