So now I'm feaking out....

My son was on pre digested formula but always had an upset tummy. So I called my Dr. yesterday he said put him on soy so I did and he is better. Now people are saying soy is really bad for infants. Why woudl a Dr. tell me to put him on it if it's so bad?? Is is really bad??

ktinaza

Asked by ktinaza at 10:57 AM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm no expert but it seems like they wouldn't make soy formula if it was bad for babies!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 11:03 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I think I read or heard that soy is kinda bad for boys hormones. Im not sure how old your son is, but I think as long as its not long term you'll probably be ok. I'd call Dr and just ask to be sure.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 10:59 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• *I'm copying and pasting*
    The issue you are talking about concerns the effects of phytoestrogens or isoflavones, which are present in soy baby formulas. Unfortunately, there is very little research that describe the risks or benefits to babies drinking soy formula, even though soy based baby formula has been in use for over 40 years.

The AAP also states that there is also some concern that babies 'absorb calcium and some other minerals less efficiently from soy formulas than from milk-based formulas.' Soy formulas have more calcium than milk based formula to help offset this though. So it should only be used when indicated.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 11:32 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• That's exactly what i thought. If it was so bad then why would they make it and a dr. tell you to use it. My son is a little over 4 months old.
    ktinaza

Answer by ktinaza at 11:32 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• "I'm no expert but it seems like they wouldn't make soy formula if it was bad for babies!"

If you actually looked into the crap that they market for babies you would be APPALLED. That said, OP, if he's tolerating the soy formula, keep him on it. Soy mimics estrogen if it hasn't been fermented, but honestly, unless you're going to relactate, you need to feed him and you need to feed him something he can handle. Lose the formula at a year and don't put him on soy milk, hemp milk is a good alternative if he can't have cow's milk still. Just try to keep unfermented soy out of his diet.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 11:33 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Soy is OKAY, yes, there is phytoestrogens in it and scientists aren't entirely sure what the effects of that are on people.. My mom takes soy tablets for her menopause.

If your LO can't seem to digest formula without issues and you don't want to risk with soy.. Have you thought about trying a breastmilk bank or looking for a milk donor in your area -- or even having it shipped frozen to you? That might be your saving grace if he continues to have trouble or you're concerned! It might be cheaper than buying formula if someone gives to you for free, really cheap, or shipping costs. It's a total myth that you can't feed your baby someone else's breastmilk. Look it up. You sure can. As long as the mom doesn't have hepatitis / AIDS or smoke/drink/take bad medications... it's totally okay!
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 1:23 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Honestly I didn't like breastfeeding at all I did it for one month and was actually crying because with my son it was so hard. Formula is great for us and the soy he seems to really like and it doesn't cause any tummy trouble. With my next one I will try breastfeeding again. I'm told some babies are really easy to BF and other are super hard that was my case. I don't think he ever left my breast, I couldn't do anyhting he took 1.5 hours to eat and wanted to agian 20 min later, I couldn't do it. Bottle feeding takes 5-20 minutes and he's good for 2-3 hours.
    ktinaza

Answer by ktinaza at 1:35 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

Unfortunately, this is just NOT TRUE! They have made many things in the past, that were later determined unsafe. Mothers used to give their babies paragoric for colic! My older brother got it - although it was removed from the shelves before I was born. That was an opium derivative! My sister was offered a drug to help alleviate morning sickness, that was later found to cause birth defects! Anytime you mess with nature, you run risks. I too have heard that soy products have estrogen and can mess with anyone's hormones, male or female. The best food for baby is always mother's milk. When that isn't an option, then you offer the best that you can find. Have you considered trying goat's milk? Or raw milk? Or no milk at all? Check out milk-free diets on the internet, starting with www.rawfamily.com.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 2:37 PM on Aug. 17, 2009