My 2.5 YO DS is REALLY tough, do you have any advice?

He throws tantrums, he is demanding, he has a FIT if I try and brush his teeth, he is STILL NURSING, he will only eat about 4 different meals and that's it. He likes to hit his sister, he not only goes to bed too late and wakes too early, but he wakes up 2 or 3 times in the night. He has been difficult for as long as he's been here. Please help me, I'm losing it. Today I was in tears before 6:30 am because of him. Anything I can do?

All that being said, he is also my guy, I love him to pieces, but he's making me NUTS.

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 11:30 AM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have a HARD son also!! He was hard since BIRTH.. colic, pooping issues, sleeping issues, he's only 21 months right now though! and it gets so hard. he is VERY much a routine child.. He needs strict routines and he still fights them daily but if you throw them out even one day its a mess! Also I know that I have to have strong follow through with discipline with him. I have have to mean what I say and let me tell you - he can cry for hours on end.. He's also called Mr UNdistractable in my family. that seems to be what I keep reading everywhere - Oh, just distract their negative behavior - well, that doesn't always work for everyone. so I have no advice but I DO have empathy and sympathy. Friends support and family support have been my saviors! i can be that for you !
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:44 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Get him evaluated NOW by a occupational therapist. They may be able to suggest different ideas. He sounds like he may have a sensory type disorder or have defiance disorder. I had a toddler like that. What I did with him was to set strict guidelines and enforce them very strictly. Bedtime 8pm, lunch 12. At the same time you have to be flexible so he learns spontinaity and your other children have attention.
    It is a tough road.
    Key things that triggered sensory for me was: Won't allow you to brush his teeth, picky eater, poor sleeper and aggression.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:57 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Cont'd... I go in and out of funks with him. I try so hard to be upbeat and try to enjoy being his mommy but some days are SO Hard. My mom raised me and my sister and used to do foster care and still says my max is one of a kind and just Very hard. she's very patient and helps me out a lot which I am SO thankful for. Sometimes I just go to her house to cry cause it gets so hard!Hang in there! I know I am..lol!! some kids are just way harder than others! I get in my "its not fair " type moods or funks where everyday just seems TOO HARD.. then somedays are just SO Good it outways the bad.. but I feel your pain - I love my son with ALL I HAVE but some days are just overwhelming.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:51 PM on Aug. 17, 2009