should i pick a type of formula?

I am abotu to pack my bags and jsut thought about this...someone told me that they ask in the hospital what type of pacifiers you are going to use...and i know they ask if ur breastfeeding or not, which im not, but do they ask you a specific type of formula? because i have NO IDEA what to pick!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• they didn't ask me. they just gave us what kind they had
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 11:42 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• they usually give you free samples and if your baby is ok on it just use that. They are all pretty much the same. The Pedi will tell you if you should be givin gformula with iron or not. Also did you go for a Pedi consult. If not pick one and make that appointment. When you have the baby the Dr will come check on the baby. You can also get info then.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:50 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• They very often just give what they have...you can always pick later...but you might want to go ahead and get some formula so you don't have to go out when you get home from the hospital. (If you sign up on Similac's website, they'll send you two free cans by mail) Enfamil and Similac are the most common types of formula and they each have several varieties (regular, soy, colic, etc.). They gave my daughter Enfamil in hospital (against my wishes...but thats another story)...I used Similac for a while when I weened my daughter off of breastfeeding but found that I liked the generic Kirkland (Costco's generic) brand better. Talk to your pediatrician about what he/she recommends and start there. You may have to switch a few times before you find something that works for your baby. Good Luck and Congrats!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:50 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Unless you are physically unable to breastfeed, there is no reason to think about this right now.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:57 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I bought formula with me in the hospital and they didnt even use it lol.. Just use what the hospital uses..its going to be premixed 2 ounce bottles that you can later order when you get home(nice for going out,but i used the powdered kind at home)They will give the baby a pacifier and it will most likely be a soothie.You can call and ask the hospital.So dont waste a bunch of money yet..they will even give you diapers. Good luck...Target now sells formula in bulk  online(target brand) its JUST like Similac..Diapers.com is GREAT also..

ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 12:02 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• rkoloms
    That Im sorry is rude . Not everyone HAS to breastfed if they feel its not for them .

Poster
    They usually will give you "samples" of the formula and the hospitals usually only carry enfamil and similac.
    I personally use nestle goodstart.
    It breaks down the milk proteins a little more then the other two and its easier on babies tummies. If you pick that you can go to gerber.com and sign up then for til your baby is 4 months they will send you coupons for it for like 11 dollars off.
    after 4 months they start sending babyfood coupons.
    countrygirls422

Answer by countrygirls422 at 12:04 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• rkoloms: Its her PERSONAL choice..You should never make a mother feel bad because she wants to formula feed her child.The child is getting feed. The child will still be beautiful and smart like ANY other child. So please GET over it...
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 12:05 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• omg i feel so sorry for u because the hosp i had my second son at they TOLD ME I HAVE TO BREAST FEED and i didnt want to i had to beg one of the nurses to get me some formula....and as for ur question the hosp just gives u what they have and good luck....if i have another kid i will never go back to that hosp even though its right next door to my house
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 12:13 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• oh yeah and as for the whole oh its better to breast feed crap well my 4yr old has only been sick once and my 6month old not sick yet so dont listnen to that one its a myth
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 12:14 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• The baby's doc will choose based on the PKU drawn 2 days then 14 days after birth and other prefernces. The most common and expensive are Similac and Enfamil. I tried them all and are unimpressed. The best one, I believe was the Wal-Mart brand Parent's Choice. I BF my last one, then switched to Parent's Choice. I know there are a lot of folks who are anti-Wal-Mart and I understand that. This has just been my exp. GL.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 12:15 PM on Aug. 17, 2009