after a car accident, how do I get over the fear of driving again? I almost got killed in it!

I am having severe anxiety in driving right now. I know I have no choice, but I feel like I am going to have a panic attack. sounds silly I know but my old car was wrecked

LSmomof1

Asked by LSmomof1 at 11:54 AM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Health

• It doesn't sound silly at all. Stay in your most comfortable areas to start with. If you experience anxiety, pull over and let that anxiety come to its peak, then recede to 50% of its most intense. They key here is exposing yourself to that which you fear. If you think you can't do this on your own, get help from a Cognitive Behavioral Therapist. You are absolutely not alone.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 11:58 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• That is exactly what I am going through right now, except that it was due to my husband almost being killed in a car that was totaled. He couldn't get out of the car and had to squeeze through the passenger side. I have been in accidents but never was affected until I almost lost my husband. Sometimes I can drive but only near my house, and I can't get on the freeway anymore I literally get sick. I have had to have talk therapy and have been on medications, I have been doing good after a few years and am now being weened of the meds. I still get nervous driving but I have to divert my mind from the fears, it doesn't happen overnight but it gets better with time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• they say the only thing that helps is going out and driving again--you know the old get back on the horse that threw you thing. Just go to the store or something at first, it will get better.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 12:08 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I went through this with my truck.. I got hit in the passenger side in the truck I drive now (its repaired) but what scared the crap out of me was the fact that my son was in the truck with me and it came close to hittin where he was sitting. I literally cried and was freaked out the first time I started driving again.. The only advice I can give you dear is that the sooner you start driving the better you will be in the end.. I didnt get to drive again til almost a month i believe after the accident and by that time I had built up so much worry and stress that it made it difficult to drive at all. Just take it slow and stay near your home for a lil while and then venture further from home after a few weeks. The fear will never fully go away but it will get better with time.. I promise =)
    Cameolynn

Answer by Cameolynn at 12:13 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• you just gotta get in and drive. let's be realistic about this even though the anxiety is real. you cannot live the rest of your life not driving. and you know that. the longer you wait the worse it is going to be once you get in a comfortable spot not driving.
    i've totalled four cars, one just last month. you just gotta get in and drive.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 12:30 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• It's not silly. I had a car accident when I was 5 months pregnant with my 1st child. Then again when she was 11 weeks old. I refused to leave my house for 14 months. The very thought of getting into a car made me vomit. I had to finally give in and go to Biofeedback therapy. The only way to get me out of the house was to have my friend's mom drive me. She drove a school bus. I refused to get into any other vehicle but that bus.
    RyCheyLemommy

Answer by RyCheyLemommy at 8:32 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• When I was in a head on car collision I was not only terrified to drive, but to ride with anyone. Someone turned into me at a yellow light and I thought it killed my mom. I still avoid the intersection and physically cringe when I'm going through red lights and this happend 7 years ago. I had to force myself to drive. It was hard and i was really cautious sitting at lights through an entire cycle if I thought there wasn't room for me to turn. It's hard, just take a deep breath and take it drive by drive. It's hard, but you can do it.
    MamaSarah1104

Answer by MamaSarah1104 at 11:51 AM on Aug. 7, 2010