What do you define "seeker friendly" as being?

when someone refers to a church as it being seeker friendly. i have heard this term but really have no idea what it really means. seems, it means different things to different people.

jewjewbee

Asked by jewjewbee at 12:03 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Seeker friendly can mean more than one thing. What NL mentioned above is very positive and welcoming to people. That is great. We try and be welcoming and helpful at our church as well.

When people use the word "seeker friendly" in a negative way, they are usually saying that the church is compromising the message of the gospel so that they can attract more members. EX. "Let's not mention sin or judgment, because people don't like that. Let's just talk about love, heaven, and social causes, because people will come for that." A ministers job is not to make a HUGE church but to make a deep church. I go to a big church, and it is welcoming, and we go through the whole Bible, leaving out nothing.

I think it is good to be a welcoming church to everyone, but not at the expense of the truth. We shouldn't hide what we believe or not teach people the whole Bible just because it doesn't make you feel warm and fuzzy.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 3:33 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Maybe they like quidditch players.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• It means they welcome people who are just "checking out" the church, who may not believe in God or share the churches beliefs. They accept people no matter where they are in life and treat them as equals. Believe it or not, some churches would shun people who aren't believers. Seems crazy to me...
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 12:10 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I would gather it means the church is opened to visitors and those who have questions and will try to answer those questions without judging. At least that's what comes to my mind when I hear the term. Who knows though, one church may be open and loving to "Seekers" another may bring them in just to condemn.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:10 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• My church calls itself "seeker friendly."

We have....
    -a name tag ministry. Members wear name tags (if they choose) so that it makes remembering names easier for new members and attendees (it's always awkward to ask someone's name 90 times lol. I know I'm bad with names!).
    -Welcome information with information about the church, Jesus, ministries and how to get help and services from the church if you need it.
    -Shepherding. Our elders are assigned to new families to help them tour the church, find ministries they are interested in and help any visitors they have get aquainted and feel comfortable at the church.
    -Young Adults and Families Circle, which I run. I keep track of community and church services and events that are geared to help young adults and families and am available for anyone to ask questions at any time and help them feel more comfortable at church.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:13 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• We do not change our message to suit what makes people "more comfortable." We are still Presbyterians, we still follow Westminster and Calvinistic doctrine unapologetically lol. However, "seeker friendly" to us is whatever, whenever, anything at all that we can do to make you feel welcome, comfortable and wanted. Church is not an exclusive event and everyone should have the opportunity to share in our joy and fellowship in our community :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:14 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Once again Cinn and November beat me...so I'll just say ditto to what they said.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 8:46 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Answered at 9:13 AM on Aug. 17, 2009 by:

* NovemberLove

My church calls itself "seeker friendly."

------

Who would have guessed?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Anon, I'm truly sorry that you feel the urge to post after every answer I make and libel me (and apparently my church). I am sincerely praying for you. Good night.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:01 AM on Aug. 18, 2009