Is it true that you have to have a male sign the birth certificate?? this seems absurd to me considering my circumstances..

littlemamma539

Asked by littlemamma539 at 12:06 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• No, you don't have to have them sign it. He can be on the birth certificate, but not sign it. My DD's father is not on the birth certificate.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 12:08 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• My hubby didn't sign anything after our kids were born. I filled out all the forms and signed them. I actually think that I had to sign them, but no one else did.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:09 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• me to 1974 i signed all the forms he didnt have to sign but he is on my sons birth certs
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 12:11 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• No you dont you dont even have to put the father or male on it .
    My husband didnt sign anything either. I had to :P
    countrygirls422

Answer by countrygirls422 at 12:12 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• lol... I have never heard of such a thing, what about those unfortunate women who have no idea who the father is.. or single mothers? No, not at all. A man does not need to be present for the birth certificate.

Now, if you want the baby to have his last name then yes, I'm pretty sure he does have to be there. Otherwise the baby would carry your last name.

youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 12:17 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I don't remember my husband signing anything either. I filled out all the forms in the hospital. His name is on the birth certificate but he didn't do any of the paperwork. I don't think the father's name has to be on anything.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 12:17 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• if you want the child to ahve his last name and you are not married many states make him and you sign a bunch of papers and he is also on the certificate... if your wanting the baby to ahve your name and him not even be listed as the father there is nothing eh ahs to sign jsut you
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 12:30 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• In my state, only mom actually signs the birth certificate. For dad's name to appear on it, you either have to be married or dad has to fill out and sign a voluntary acknowledgement of paternity. A birth certificate can be signed with the dad's name blank. But I am sure it varies from state to state.

riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:52 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• You can give your child any last name you want. It does not have to be his or yours.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:53 PM on Aug. 17, 2009