Are restaurants supposed to fry seafood in a different fryer than other foods as a safety precaution for people with seafood allergies?

I posted a question a while back about shellfish allergies, and one mom said they fry fries in the same oil as shrimp, this hadn't really occured to me as I am allergic to shellfish, and sometimes I have ordered fries, I am wondering if there is any type of procedures they are supposed to follow regarding handling seafood, like someplaces state "this item may have been on the same surfaces as tree nuts", should restaurants state "this food may have come in contact with shellfish" ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:15 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Health

• No they are supposed to tell you if there is a chance for cross contamination on the menu tho. Ultimately anywhere that serves seafood you should asume that the potatoes and other non seafood things will be fried together. Just make sure you ask anywhere you go to be safe.
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 12:19 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I would ask each rest cause we all know, some people do not follow the rules. Also call your local health dept, they can tell you the regs for your area.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 12:22 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• It probably depends on the restaurant. Some have more fryers and can have different fryers for seafood and other things, some don't. Maybe they should have a warning, but I think at a restaurant, as an adult you need to take on the responsibility of asking if they have separate fryers. I have a friend who is so allergic to seafood, she can't be at the same table with someone who has ordered it. One of her kids is just as bad and at 12 he was asking if the chicken fingers he wanted were fried in the same oil as fish.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:22 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I will bet they use the same filter for ALL the grease even if they use different fryers.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 12:46 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I would ask each restaurant before you order if I were you. Some are more conscientious than others.
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 2:58 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• If you're really allergic to shellfish you need to ask about every single item you want to order. Or not eat at places that serve shellfish. I'm allergic to shellfish, but only if I ingest it. I'm fine with even food that's been next to it.

My daughter is allergic to a lot so I'm either going to stop eating out or just bring her dinner. :/
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 4:16 PM on Aug. 17, 2009