teaching child to drive a stick shift

memorable milestone? or would you rather have hot pokers dug into your eyeballs?

jewjewbee

Asked by jewjewbee at 12:15 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think my dad and JeremysMom's dad could have a nice talk over beers..lol. My dad got so frustrated with me he finally threw me the keys and said "Here. You have your license now. Go teach yourself." And I did! Once my dad was out of the car and not gripping the car door every second I was fine. LOL
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 12:43 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• pokers. but it could just depend on the child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• With me, I believe my dad would have taken the hot pokers in the eyes if given the choice. He says I took 20 years off his life when he was teaching me how to drive a stick-shift. Having said that though, I am really glad he did teach me.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:20 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I dunno.. but my only advice to you is don't sit in the passenger seat and yell the whole time. It's what my mom did and I hated her and hated driving stick because of it. Your probably gonna need a new clutch when its over, but its well worth the price of having a child who can drive your car :) Trust me, I wish more people knew how to drive stick.. finding a DD that can do it SUX!!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 12:45 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• We have 2 manual Shifts old Cars! I learned to A point of some what Driving them! My Dh A time or 2 drank A few Beers & I had to Drive! But I was Scared! A old Car & it being tempermental Etc.. Once I drove home my brother in laws & didn't miss A Gear! But old Cars have old Ways!! I don't love Sticks & they frustrate me! I've suffered with migraines for 30 Years! Plus Severeal concussions, A skull Fracture Etc.. Makes it hard for me!! I wish in HS I was Taught that. Since by 14 I Drove all the Time!! So Best of Luck! Some Pick it up SO Fast!! 'Cuz what's more Fun then Driving!? Plus+ My DD had A hard time learning just to Drive! The Day she passed... She Wanted to show off she could back & park close to my Brand New Garage Door! Yup! She hit it! Took Her Driver's Test & passed it! With my Automatic! Never got A New Door! LOL! God Luck! Sending Patience & Wings! And A neck brace? Wear it first if needed?? LOL~!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 12:46 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Well personaly I had to teach myself. I gave up for a year haha...but finally i just got to drive the truck around our field (luckily we had some property to learn on) and i got the hang of it. i actually prefer a stick most the time now, although i own a auto haha
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 1:16 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I took to a stick like a duck to water. I had no trouble learning. I was lucky we lived in the country and my dad taught me...the ipitome of patients..and no traffic. I don't think I will have trouble teaching my kids. The innitial driving of a car was a bit rough, as I am a control freak, but the stick thing wouldn't bother me.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:28 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I want mine to learn to drive on a stick shift first. To me, you have to pay a lot more attention to your driving when you are driving stick. You can't just hit the brakes and start slowing down. I drive waaaaay better when I'm driving stick...and even though it seems scarier than automatic, it's actually not. It's not easier, it takes work, and time to not look like an idiot when you're driving, but I prefer it. Except for when there's a lot of traffic. Stick shift cars last longer too, transmissions won't die out so easily. JMO.
    chavela_carlita

Answer by chavela_carlita at 6:33 PM on Aug. 17, 2009