Kittens while pregnant

Is it safe to have a kitten while your pregnant, I am 34 weeks along and my husband brought home a 8 weeks old kitten for our 2 year old son he said he ased the person ffrom wich he got it from the mom was a indoor cat and the kitten has never been outside but she is to young for shot is this ok as long as stays indoors is it ok to keep her is it safe for me and my baby to have her around

darkangel198656

Asked by darkangel198656 at 12:16 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• As long as you are not the one cleaning the kitty litter box or washing her then it should be ok.. Just make sure that you dont handle the cleaning part.. the chemicals that they produce when kitty litter box are dangerous to you and baby! Good luck with your pregnancy!!
    Cameolynn

Answer by Cameolynn at 12:19 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Yes as long as you dont clean the box . That would be a no way thing .
    countrygirls422

Answer by countrygirls422 at 12:19 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• It's perfectly fine. The only thing that is unsafe is YOU changing the litter box. Cats are great and when the baby is born keep the kitten out of the bassinet/crib. Though they love to sleep with the baby's, it's been said that they can sufficate the baby (by cuddling to close to the face maybe). I've had lots of cats in my life and even since my kids have been born and it doesn't matter if you train them to be an outside cat or inside cat, they are wonderful pets and easy to take care of.
    mammacjjc85

Answer by mammacjjc85 at 12:22 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• yes and no it depends the doctor may say no but if your not the no one cleaning out the kitty litter box then it should be ok. The kitty litter box holds alot of bateria! Then you have to watch the kitten when you have your baby for the fact the kitten will get in the baby's face because it's going to smell the milk. I would really talk to the doctor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Just don't clean the box. I had cats through both of my pregnancies and it is perfectly fine. And I have never heard of cat smelling milk or formula on a baby and getting too close to it or suffocating it. That was a rumor started many,many years ago and as far as I have researched, has no basis in fact. The only thing I would really watch for is to keep the kitten out of the bassinet when the baby is not in it. Typically pets have little interest in being around babies. My cats did not want one thing to do with my babies. The only thing they did was meow at me while I was making the bottles and the baby was crying. It was like they were telling me to hurry up.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 12:34 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• You'll be fine.
    You can have someone else clean the litter BUT...that can be unrealistic especially with stinky kitten poop.
    It is okay to clean the litter box as long as it hasn't been more than 24 hours. The concern is with toxoplasmosis but it takes at least a day after a cat poops for it to be an issue. You can even wear gloves if you want, but I don't find them necessary. Just don't touch the litter with your bare hands and wash thoroughly.

By the way Clay Litter is VERY BAD for kittens. VERY BAD. They aren't very good at not eating the litter when they clean themselves and it can cause problems in their guts and they can get very sick. Get a natural litter. You might like the clumping feline pine or cedarific or similar brands. Stay away from the clay.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:48 PM on Aug. 17, 2009