Strongest toddler...

Have any of you seen that documentary on the strongest toddler (TLC). They tried saying he was born that way but medical doctors have no idea what it is. I personally think the parents are just overworking him. His day starts off with gymnastics, then he goes home and does more running around and the father takes him to the gym with him in the evening. He also goes to the YMCA to take swimming lessons. The docs say he has the strength of a 6 year old at the age of 3. I dont believe it at all and think this is definitely the cause of the parents. What do you think?

youngfirsttimer

Asked by youngfirsttimer at 12:22 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• If the kid was being over worked, he'd be exhausted and he's not. He eats all the time and has pretty much no body fat, they struggle to make sure he gets enough fat in his diet for proper brain developement. Plus, you'd think they'd have done the same thing with their daughter, yet she is a normal teenager. A 3 year old will just stop if they are tired, and he doesn't. He was adopted so who knows what genetics he's got. I think it's amazing. And just because the Drs don't know why he is the way he is doesn't mean squat, there's a lot Drs don't know.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:28 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I didn't see the show, but I'd imagine that it's possible that the parents do all this just to wear the child out. If you had a kid who was bouncing off the walls and using their "strenght" just randomly against things or toys, wouldn't you want that channeled? My 2 year old has soo much energy that I take her to My Gym and let her get it out and learn a skill at the same time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I saw the documentary. It was very interesting. I think the boy was definitely "gifted: and has some kind of special genetic makeup eve though doctors don't know what it is. He had abdominal definition, and the boy could do chin-ups which require a lot of upper body strength. But I have to say it seemed to me like some of the stuff was more the adoptive parent's reading too much into it. Because a lot of babies can hold up their head as infants, and a lot of babies are early walkers and crawlers. So some of the stuff they mentioned is not so much out of the ordinary. He didn't seemed overworked or exhausted so I do not think it was the parents doing it to him.
    Emberbaby

Answer by Emberbaby at 12:38 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• It's hard to see inside the lives of others. There are so many weird things you can see on TLC. I saw a news cast about a 2 yr old pool shark! He was still wearing diapers, but could clear off the pool table with great dexterity and ease. Do I think allowing a baby to play pool is a good idea? Heck, no! But he loved it. His dad played with him, and they had a very close relationship. As soon as the child is no longer enjoying it, then it would be time to quit. In the meantime, I think it's great that the family spend quality time together. However, I do think that many children all around the word, but especially here in the USA, are spending far too much time in organized activity and not enough in play. We need to develop their imaginations, if we want any creativity to come from the next generation. No play time now, no gifted scientists later. And the world will be poorer for it.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 2:04 PM on Aug. 17, 2009