Would you be upset?

My dad and step mom watched my 2 year old yesterday. I call around 5 to see when they might be bringing her home. I'm told, she just went down for a nap. AT 5?! Her bedtime is 9, but it she's waking up around 7 from her "nap" how can I possible expect her to get to bed on time?! Plus step mom gave her a brownie before she left. She was bouncing off the walls! I finally put her to bed at 10:30. I don't know if she went to sleep, but she was atleast quiet. Hubby was pretty upset, but it happens. I've done it a few times myself. but i"m the one dealing with her and I wake her up so she will go to bed later. I wasn't the one that let her stay up, but I was the that had to deal with it. I figure, unless it keeps happening, let it go. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:26 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• let it go. If you dont like how their taking care of her dont take her there. If their helping you out, then let the little stuff go. Its not hurting her, just inconviencing you for one day. The brownie is no big deal either. Thats what grandparents are about. Spoiling.
    Mesha125

Answer by Mesha125 at 12:29 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• In the future inform them of her nap times and that no nap is to be given after such and such time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• almost the identical thing happened with my mother in law friday. I was SO MAD. Although he skipped his nap totally so he fell asleep on his own at 5 .... he's only 21 months and we told her to make sure he's home ( since she's the one who HAD to take him to visit my husbands cousin )arg!! then he didn't go to bed til 10 and woke up at 5am and was SOOOO Crabby the whole morning. Yes, you should be mad. they need to follow the same rules you have at your house if/when they watch your child. Spoiling is different. this is not spoiling her -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:58 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• thats what grandparents are for to give them snacks,as for the nap thing if ur child was tired let her have a nap.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 1:02 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I feel your pain!

Every time my dd goes to the in laws, her entire schedule is messed up. MIL specifically asked when I give dd a bath. I told her around 7:30-8:00 at night before bed, so when she is over there, she bathes her in the morning . WTF? Why ask me what I do, just to do the opposite?? She hasn't slept there in a while. It was because they were taking her to church, not because I "needed" them to watch her . . they wanted to. So if they want to be able to spend time with her, they have to follow my rules. I am not going to have her bed time all screwed up ALL the time, so she can sleep at their house 1 night a week. When she came home from there, she would try to stay up until like 12am . . . not acceptable.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:15 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I would address it...just let them know that you really appreciate the break from your little one and love the fact that they spend so much time with her, but that it really throws your daughter and your schedule off when they don't stick to the routine (i.e. naptime, no sweets at night, etc.). If it happens again, let them know that she won't be able to spend afternoons with them if they keep it up...it can take days to get a toddler back on schedule after something like that - I feel your pain girl!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 1:22 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• If my MIL doesn't follow our rules, she doesn't baby sit any longer. And she knows it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• There has been some good advice here - both for dealing with it, and for letting it go. I'd like to ask you how much you want to let this affect your relationship? My inlaws lived on a dairy farm, and used to give the kids "tractor rides". I hated it, because it is soooo dangerous! They refused to honor my wishes, and once again I saw grampa sitting on the tractor with three of my babies and my niece on his lap! My sisterinlaws came runnign inside, telling me to get my camera so I could take a picture. All I said was,"That's not something I want to remember!" I was really upset that they wouldn't respect my wishes, and that they put my kids in danger. Well, I was "the black sheep" for many, many years. I'm not sure they ever got over that remark. Finally, I had to take it to my kids. I told them that if they ever got on the tractor again, I'd never let them go to grampa's house again. I felt mean, but I know I'm right
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 1:49 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• If it was my son, I would be upset because if he doesn't get his sleep, it throws him off for days, and that's not inconveniencing just me, but also the babysitter who watches him while I'm at work, and that's not fair to anyone involved. But I know that not every toddler is like that, actually needing that much sleep. So if, in your case, it was just the one day that was a problem, I wouldn't worry about it too much; let it go, and next time tell them about the problem and ask them to avoid it. But try to remember, too, that part of the joy of having grandkids is getting to spoil them and hand them back to mom and dad. ;-)

DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:21 PM on Aug. 17, 2009