Since I'm feeding my son cereal 4 times a day and baby food 2 times....

isn't he thirsty after eating? I mean we are. Should I give him a drink? Sorry if it sounds like a dumb question but I really have no idea. His Dr. said at six months I can give him water. But isn't he thirsty now?

ktinaza

Asked by ktinaza at 12:27 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I always breastfed either right before/right after meals. As I started feeding him solids, I moved his schedule around so that he was eating solids three times a day at normal meal times and breastfeeding at those times, then he still breastfed for snack and at bedtime. Also, you could express some bm or put a little formula in a sippy to start getting him used to it.

Answer by missanc at 1:32 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I hope your child is still getting bottles / breastmilk and that you aren't just giving him food. :) What I did, was let my daughter eat and offered a sippy cup. Afterwards, she got a bottle. She was still getting 4-5 bottles a day (7 oz each) plus the food 3 x. Water isn't necessary. Unlike adult, infants get all their nutrition through formula/breastmilk. THey don't need the food either. They also get all the water they need through formula/breastmilk, so water or juice isn't necessary
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:31 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I always gave a little formula with solids to wash it down. Im sure babies would like a drink during meals like adults do
    Mesha125

Answer by Mesha125 at 12:32 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Yeah he gets 5 oz of formula every 2-3 hours. But It isn't always time for the bottle when it's time for solids. So when he is eating the food his bottle might be 30 min. away so in the mean time what would I give him to make it so he isn't thirsty right after eating?
    ktinaza

Answer by ktinaza at 12:34 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Ahh. Well, then just offer a little extra formula. If he's old enough for the foods, he can probably handle some watered down juice with his meals, too. Or just wait the 30 minutes or so and give him the meal with the bottle.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:42 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• At six months his main source of nutrition should be his formula/BM, then food is secondary to that. The amount you are feeding him seems a bit much. I would try scaling it back a bit, to maybe 3 times a day at most, otherwise he wont be hungry for his bottle and he most certainly needs the nourishment from that. And if you offer BM/formula with his food and he doesn't take it, that's okay, you still know he's getting it at other times. Don't worry about him getting water, babies don't need water at this age. They stay plenty hydrated as it is with their BM/formula. You can offer it to them sure, but it does them no harm/good either way. But they may not take it now because they do not like it.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 12:45 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I tried feeding him cereal 3 times a day and baby food once and he was so hungry even with his formula. So I started doing that and he eats his whole bottle and all the food. Yesterday after I fed him 5 oz of his bottle he wanted another bottle after one hour. So he seems more full now. He's a big baby and wants to eat all the time. I always feed him his bottle first then after about 30 min give him some food and then he still wants his bottle after.
    ktinaza

Answer by ktinaza at 12:54 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• The kid shouldn't be eating solids if they're under six months. Period. Just give more formula.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

----------------------

The jury is still out on that one, so don't judge.
    My DD, just turned four months and her Doc, told me I could start cereal now, and other food in about a month.
    Every child is different.
    Do a little more research on the topic before you give a final answer please?
    ------------------------------------------------------------

I am just starting the solid food thing. I feed her as much formula as she seems to want, then offer a little cereal (what dr. said to do). Sometimes she eats it, other times, she doesn't.
    I actually never really thought about the drinking while eating thing.
    I would ask your doc, but I would think a little juice or formula would be ok.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 2:07 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• i give my DD a few spoonfuls of food and then a drink of formula. and repeat that until shes totally done with her food. then if there is any milk left I give that to her, to let her finish it off. Thats when she just started eating cereal, now that shes eating baby food, and can drink water (she's 9 mths) I give her a few spoonfuls of food and then give her water to drink and repeat til food is gone. then i get the remaining water (thats left in her bttle) and add formula. then give to her. She eats 4 times a day now, abt 9 oz of food and milk combined (give or take). her 4th feeding (last one) she only gets a milk bottle. Basically this way she gets the amount of food and formula she needs. maybe this will help u.
    ProudMammaMia

Answer by ProudMammaMia at 4:07 PM on Aug. 17, 2009