how long until my newborn starts on cereal or rice?

she's 6 wks old & i was wondering when she should start cereal

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Jun. 23, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• some people start @ the 6 month mark though most docs do not reccomend it. I waited till my sons 4 month check up to see what his doct thought. I truct that my doc would give me the right answrs. He told me starting around 4-5 months was good b/c he's able to sit up and partially undertand whats going on. I never do it in a bottle one with milk (bm)and cereal in a bowl. If they can mimc you opening your mouth and seem to hold food in vs out then baby is ready. It really depends on if you the mom feels your baby's system can handle it. JMO, hope it helps!
    Mommy2life

Answer by Mommy2life at 11:07 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I would wait till she is at least 4 months old. Starting solids too soon can upset their little bellies or even cause them to become extremely constipated and that's not fun either.
    DrusMom

Answer by DrusMom at 11:22 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Honestly, cereal is pretty useless. Its devoid of nutrition and acts as nothing more than a filler. You'd be best to start fresh avacado or banana, mashed and mixed with breastmilk or formula until smooth, at 6 months.
    mom2ljh

Answer by mom2ljh at 11:34 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I really think the 6 mo mark is better unless you have a really skinny baby and they need empty calories. I think it's best, and the experts agree, to wait for 6 months because the baby's brain is still developing and needs the tissue found in breast milk. Also if you overfeed with empty calories you are just adding fat cells that could haunt the baby the rest of their life.
    MrsKuKuKaChoo

Answer by MrsKuKuKaChoo at 11:48 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• AAP suggests not untill 6 months. It has been suggested that the enzymes in babys tummy are not developed untill 6 months. But every baby is different, so anywhere between 4 and 6 months is recommended.

The only time you will be told to use it earlier, is in a bottle, if baby has been diagnosed with acid reflux. It makes the milk heavier and harder to come back up... Some pediatricians are completely against this, but yet you can still buy an X cut nipple made for cereal.

It all comes down to your choice. You will know when your baby is ready, solids are not recommended for a baby who cannot hold his head up on his own.
    newmommyy322

Answer by newmommyy322 at 12:00 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I've been told from 4-6 months. In my oldest baby's particular situation, his doc started him on rice at 3 months. Starting at that age is not very common, and I certainly wouldn't even consider it unless the doc recommends it.
    Mangy_Momma

Answer by Mangy_Momma at 12:22 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I started my son on oatmeal cereal when he was 2 months old. He was very hungry.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:58 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• my baby was 2 months when i started him on rice cereal. its the only thing that helped him stay full for longer than an hour. hes right at 3 months old now and hes doing really good. i have never had any problems from giving him cereal.
    crissyt2006

Answer by crissyt2006 at 1:26 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Minimum of 4 months and that early age is usually reserved for kids with problems like reflux. Six months is the more accepted age.
    If you start early, start with rice cereal since it is VERY easy to digest. It's mostly to get them used to eating thicker things off of a spoon. Putting it in a bottle defeats this purpose and can pose a choking hazard. If baby won't take a spoon, it's too early.
    One way to tell if your baby is ready - does he watch you closely when you eat? Does he smack his lips or pretend to chew when you eat? Does he eat a full bottle or a full lenght breastfeeding session and then want more soon after?
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:32 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

kaycee14