Is this normal when transitioning a baby from breast milk to formula?

My little boy is 5 months old. When he was around 2 months, I was having milk issues and tried giving him formula. It seemed to really upset his tummy, so I stopped. I figured it was his immature digestive system. Now, I have tried again since I plan to stop breast feeding at 6 months. I am mixing 2 oz. formula to 4-5 oz. breast milk. He (we) got no sleep last night. He tossed and turned and fussed. I could hear the gas in his tummy. He was pushing and trying to toot. If I got up with him he was ok. It was more when he was laying down. He tooted and pooped and fell asleep. When I layed him back down he was clearly uncomfortable and would cry briefly every once in a while. His dad gets gassy when he drinks milk. Maybe he is sensitive to it. Should I keep giving it to him hoping he gets used to it or change to soy? I heard soy can lead to fertility problems. I don't know what to do.

NewMom311

Asked by NewMom311 at 12:41 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• DO NOT mix formula and breat milk. that's a no no. It is normal for babies to get gassy when switching any of their food. My babies doctors prescribed Mylicon drops. They take the gas away and are safe to use every feeding if necessary. Also try gently heating a blanket up in the dryer and wrapping him up in it. make sure it's not too hot as to burn him though. Good luck!
    Jesusfanatic

Answer by Jesusfanatic at 12:48 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I worked full time (not at home) and breastfed for 23 months. I will be happy to help you contimue breastfeeding for the entire 2 years, and beyond.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:08 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• sometimes yes babies get gassy when switching, but if its so painful he cant sleep, there might be a slight problem if the formula is milk based. he may be lactose intolerant. i'm pretty sure you can get formula thats lactose free, that is not soy.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 1:11 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Why are you weaning so early? :( Makes me want to cry for your LO.

Obviously formula isn't agreeing with his system.. It's unnatural and of course it's going to upset his stomach..

If you're weaning because you're tired of the baby being strapped to you constantly, why don't you just switch to BM in a bottle all the time.. ? BM is SO good for your LO.. I don't understand why some people don't want to do what is absolutely best for their babies.. I mean, is breastfeeding some sort of detriment to your health? Is it ruining your marriage? What?!

But to answer the question -- never give a breastfed baby regular formula to start. Start with lactose free mixed with your BM. Um, of course you can mix formula and BM -- millions of people do it -- there's no issue other than that formula sucks. He might only be able to be on soy or predigested, though.
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 1:15 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• You can mix breastmilk and formula - when I had my 4th my bm didn't come in right away due to health issues so I had to use a supplementer - which meant he was getting formula and breastmilk mixed, at the suggestion of a lactation consultant from the hospital, so it's fine.

Answer by missanc at 1:30 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• If he had a problem with milk, then you wouldn't have been able to eat dairy products while you were nursing.

No one needs to cry for your baby as he will be just fine on formula if that is the route you choose to go.

Soy does NOT cause fertility problems, that us bull crap.

Talk to your pediatrician about it.

Formula does not suck, I have very healthy kids due to formula.

If you're mixing formula and giving it right away, that adds extra air. Mix the formula ahead of time and put it in the fridge. That gives the air time to dissipate and cuts down on the gas in his tummy. Make sure you're burping after every couple of ounces and keeping him upright for about 20 minutes if possible right after a feeding.

Don't listen to the nursing nazi's...do what you need to do for YOUR baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:42 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• PP -- I just want to know WHY she is weaning. And I won't lie about my feelings about formula. It has its uses and there are legit reasons (ie: marriage in trouble, getting depressed over it / extremely unhappy, etc.) to quit nursing.. and then there are people that just think it's "appropriate" to quit nursing at 6 months.. And that's not true at all. It's appropriate to nurse a baby for a -lot- longer than that.. Notice I don't mind if you guys know who I am, either!

OP -- even if you do quit actually nursing and maybe even if you start switching to half/half -- half/half would be so much healthier.. assuming there isn't some huge issue with you needing to stop.

JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 1:56 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• It's not your business why she is weaning. And some people DO think it's "appropriate" to stop at 6 months even if you don't. So to say it's "not true" is false. It's "not true" for YOU. It may be true for someone else. Because one wishes to stop is a very "legit" reason.

I always post anon and shall continue to do so because there are too many on this site who are childish and insist on sending out hate mail...usually those who think THEY are the ones are right in all cases.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:03 PM on Aug. 17, 2009