i dont want pain medicine this time

i dont want pain medicine this time cause with my first one i didnt feel anything at all and i want to feel something this time but im scared cause i hear all these scary stories bout not having pain medicine but i also have complications during labor so would it be safe not to have pain medicine also?

devlynsmommy08

Asked by devlynsmommy08 at 12:46 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had the pain meds but the actually LOL wore off about an hour before I pushed so I felt it all.
    Honestly it wa samazing. I felt alot of pressure which was motivation to push better LOL only took me 15 mins to have my little girl .
    My cousin she used no pain meds was induced and she was just fine her husband said she took it like a champ and didnt even scream in pain LOL
    She can take alot of pain tho .
    countrygirls422

Answer by countrygirls422 at 12:49 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I had phetinol (spelling?) and that was it...it is not as bad as you see on tv where people are screaming, just remember to BREATHE and count down in your head.
    tjandjenna

Answer by tjandjenna at 12:51 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• What are your complications? There might be ways to get past. Women birth without any meds all the time, finding info & support is the key!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:54 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I did it twice with nothing. It actually wasnt that bad.
    Mesha125

Answer by Mesha125 at 1:00 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I didn't have any drugs with either of my births -- and my second was a 10 pounder! Honestly, it was intense, but not that bad.
    MarigoldsMama

Answer by MarigoldsMama at 1:05 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• "I didn't have any drugs with either of my births -- and my second was a 10 pounder! Honestly, it was intense, but not that bad."

Me, too!   And also 10-pounds!   (First was 9-pounds!)   But their sizes were irrelevant...

I wanted to say that how a mama perceives pain has a LOT to do with her mind.   Her expectations, her fears.   Those with more confidence and help (the continuous support, not coming-and-going kind of help), have a better chance at coping and reducing their pain.

There are really a lot of ways to deal with this and you can do it.  You can say, "I did it and it wasn't that bad!"    too!!   :-D

doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:15 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I too gave birth twice with out drugs. If I had another, I would probably have the drugs, just to see the difference, but with one of them they were born with a collapsed lung, nothing to do with anything but the way he came out...but the doc said that had I been given drugs, it would have slowed things up a lot and then who knows what could have happened.

You just really have to focus on your breathing and relaxing methods. It hurts like a Son of a gun, but I feel it's totally worth it in the end!
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 1:24 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I had an epi my first birth, second was 100% natural. I LOVED going natural. If i had a 3rd I'd for sure do no drugs. Yeah, it hurt.. i mean, duh. lol But it didn't last very long. When he crowned and the first push was the hardest for me. But then I dunno what happened but I found my 'zone' and I just did it and it wasn't that bad. I think I tensed up when he crowned and by the 2nd push I was able to relax and just let my body take over and then the pain wasn't really an issue. I recovered a lot faster too.
    KandiceN

Answer by KandiceN at 1:36 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I understand where you are coming from, I am due to have my second soon and I am thinking about go with no pain meds. I had an epidural with my first but I remember when I got it, I did it because I was afraid the pain would get bad and I didnt want to feel it so I made sure I never felt like any pain and looking back I dont like the decision I made so I am thinking about going with no pain meds. If this birth goes like my first then I feel there is noo reason to have them. Good Luck in making your decision and on having your new baby.
    Abbysmommy321

Answer by Abbysmommy321 at 1:43 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• How on earth were you able to get pain meds for the entire labor? My doc turned off the epi as soon as I started pushing, 4 hours later with no meds I was still pushing and ended up with a c-section. After this experience there will be NO MORE BABIES, it hurt WAY too much physically and emotionally and I have a VERY high pain tolerance, I NEVER take drugs because the pain of anything just doesn't bother me.
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 2:41 PM on Aug. 17, 2009