Should I be scared?

I recently found a lump in my breast about a week ago and it seems to be getting larger. I have an appointment set up for tomorrow but in the meantime, I'M TOTALLY SCARED AND NERVOUS. My aunt on my mothers side had breast cancer which I think makes my chances greater than that of someone who doesn't have a history in their family. Right? What kinds of tests will they do other than a mammogram? I know I should know these things and I do, but I'm askling for advice because I am unsure. I've done some research online and it could also be a cyst. What is the difference between that and possible breast cancer? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Scared in PA :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:53 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Health

• My mom had a lump removed about 10 years ago and on her dads side of the family just about everybody died of cancer, she got a small one again but it is nothing and they just monitor it every year. I believe they do the new digital mamogram but don't get freaked out if they want to do it twice plenty of people I know they told them that and they did it and eveything is fine, keep possitive, Good Luck !!!
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 12:57 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Yeah, get to a doc. They'll prob do a mammogram. It's not comfortable but neither is breast cancer. You need to do the testing to find out earlier what's going on. The longer you wait, the worse off you could be. If it is cancer, the sooner it's detected the better chances you have for survival. Don't hesitate. Good luck.
    geminigirl18

Answer by geminigirl18 at 12:58 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• DONT GOOGLE! It will just make you freak out more. They may do nothing, it may be nothing. I have a few lumps that are considered 'fibrous tissue' its scary cause they feel like lumps but their nothing.
    Mesha125

Answer by Mesha125 at 12:58 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• You are doing what you should by going to the doctor, Try not to stress before if you can! Good Luck!
    Shelly922731

Answer by Shelly922731 at 1:02 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Keep ur head up and i will be praying for u. A cyst is differne than breast cancer, my mom has a disease called cystic breasts and she gets thes cysts that are sometimes painful sometimes not and they are not cancerious and are just there, so keepur head up not every bump means cancer. Your are deffinitly very smart to see a dr, because if something is wrong the earlier u see a dr the better the outcome.
    God Bless
    angels4262

Answer by angels4262 at 3:24 PM on Aug. 17, 2009