My 3 1/2 year old stopped going in the potty!!

Just in the last few weeks. He doesn't have accidents, he litteraly pulls down his pants and squats on the floor. Pee's too... It's infuriating! There haven't been any changes in his diet, his schedule, his liftstyle, etc. He just decided he didn't wanna use the potty anymore. I can't figure it out!!! What can I do to make him stop?

We've tried rewarding him for using the potty, discipline for using the floor, we use a calendar and have him put a star when he has a whole day with no floor potty... nothing seems to stop him! Suggestions?

livn4hevn

Asked by livn4hevn at 1:03 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• do you make him clean it up all by himself? clean the floor, put his clothes in the washroom, clean himself up, etc. (and i mean really clean, not just half-ass). that's what i did for my son while he was getting potty trained and it worked really well.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 5:02 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Mine did that too. It's a mental thing. She stopped going #2 and was trashing all of her underwear for about 2 months and today she went on her own again and told me after so I could clean it up. Talk to him. We just offered her a big toy if she goes 5 times in a row. Maybe you can do a rewards chart with starts or something. I don't usually like bribes, but at this point, it's not going to happen until they make up their own minds to do it.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 1:08 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Sorry, didn't read the last part. What does he get if he fills the calendar? I make my daughter drink tons of water. Is he starting school this year? Have you talked to him about that?
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 1:10 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• he gets to go to the dollar store and pick out a toy of his choice if he goes all week without accidents... it helped for maybe... 4 days? And then he stopped. He seems to do really well when daddy is around too... idk what the difference is, but he doesn't have a problem over the weekends... we've talked about starting preschool in the fall- I want him to, but if he can't go potty... he's never had an accident in public. He ALWAYS goes in the potty in public... so idk. Maybe he'll do fine in school...
    livn4hevn

Answer by livn4hevn at 3:00 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• yes. I have done that a LOT. He hates it.... and a few times he tried to pawn off the job to his brother (hahaha THAT was funny)... I make him shower, scrub the carpets, throw away the poopies, change his clothes... the whole nine. Doesn't seem to impact him enough to stop him- however I do know he hates doing it. It's a fight and a lot of crying....
    livn4hevn

Answer by livn4hevn at 1:59 AM on Aug. 18, 2009