What exactly do the doctors consider a flat head?

My son is 6 months and the back of his head is a lil flat from sleeping on his back... It has gotten way better now that he is not laying all the time and playing in his jumperoo... but I have heard that they make helmets for babies with flat heads, so I was just curious how flat they are talking about...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:13 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your best bet is to ask your son's doctor to look at it. I just happened to mention that my daughter's head was flat at her 2 month appointment, I didn't really think it was a big deal though. Her doctor referred us to the prosthetics & orthotics department & she will most likely need a helmet. Babies heads grow the most before they're a year old, so if your son does need a helmet, you don't want to wait too long.
    tarynsmommy82

Answer by tarynsmommy82 at 1:40 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• you have to get him lying on his sides and stuff. otherwise yes u will need a helmet or u will end up like my friends son. He had a flat head but they didnt do anythg in time and now it is permantly flat and kinda cone head like. he is 15 mths old and she hopes when his hair grows fuller it will conceal the shape of his head.
    ProudMammaMia

Answer by ProudMammaMia at 3:56 PM on Aug. 17, 2009