waking up crabby??

Does anyone else's child wake up in the AM and from naptime SO Crabby?? I know some people/kids tend to wake up crabby but this seems extreme. Most days I am almost afraid to give him a nap - although his nap is VERY Routine -same time everyday etc. but it doesn't matter if he takes a 30 minute nap or a 2 hour nap. He's 21 months old and this has been going on forever with him. I don't know how to snap him out of it - I try getting creative, funny, food, walks everything. Somedays it takes him maybe 20 minutes to "snap out of it" but sometimes it can affect the whole night... anyone else's child like this?

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 1:21 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter wakes up crabby every single day! No matter what I do, how fun I can make it for her. First she gets mad at me because she wants me to turn the sun off, them she gets mad at me because her Dad's at work, them she asks me where we are going today and if I don't have an answer she gets mad at me, If she doesn't have the right kind of clothes to put on she gets mad at me. My morning sucks everyday. She's mad at me every morning, Sorry i don'y know how to help you but if you come up with something let me know!
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 1:31 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Well, every kid is different, but I can tell you that when my daughter was younger (6 mo. - 1 yr)...if she woke up crabby, then she wasn't done sleeping yet. I'd leave her in her room and she'd be back to sleep within 10-15 minutes. My daughter is 15 mo. now and if she wakes up crabby, I don't go in there to get her until her tone changes. (i.e. if she wakes up crying ...nobody goes in there...if she wakes up talking/chatting, etc. then in comes mommy). Sometimes she goes back to sleep for a little while. Sometimes she just needs some time to herself to wake up and her mood will change on its own. With my daughter, I find the more I coddle her about her bad moods, the more she indulges in them. If I just acknowledge and move on...she tends to follow my lead. (i.e. Big hug, I'm sorry you're in a bad mood. When you cheer up, come join me in doing this puzzle, etc.)
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 1:31 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• If this is something that is "new" have you considered there is something wrong? IE my daughter does this when she is getting teeth, she will go to sleep either at night or at nap time and wake up in a horrible mood. Just an idea..
    Tiera12

Answer by Tiera12 at 1:38 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Your child may be waking up too suddenly, from nrem sleep, instead of from rem sleep, which makes him disoriented. The best way to deal with it, is just not go to his crib until his tone changes. Let him fuss, let him re-adjust. Then reward him when his tone changes, by going to him. It could take a few weeks to "train" him, but and he may never be a bundle of cheer when he wakes up, but at least he can learn to control his moods somewhat. Another possibility, try waking him up gradually yourself. First open the blinds, or turn on a light, or play some quiet music then slowly increase the volume. You want to try to ease him to wakefulness, so he isn't so disoriented. Hopefully, this is just a phase and it will pass.
    Lorelei
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 1:44 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• my 14month old does sometimes,i just hold her when she gets up for a few minutes and that seems to help.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 3:59 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• OP : thanks ladies. I wish some of this advice would have been things I haven't tried yet but I appreciate you taking the time to try to help!! I guess I'll hope he will outgrow it eventually.. and Rachel - I will let you know if I ever find anything. lol!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:00 PM on Aug. 17, 2009