Do you believe there are ANY moral absolutes in life or is everything subject to circumstances?

proud2Bmomma

Asked by proud2Bmomma at 1:35 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• There are no absolutes in anything.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:39 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• There are and must be absolutes. The statement "there are no absolutes" in itself MUST be an absolute in order to be true.

I personally believe that there are absolutes and that we do know what a few of them are, the rest are the ones we bicker about lol.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:40 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• The statement "there are no absolutes" in itself MUST be an absolute in order to be true.

I get where you're going with that, but I still disagree. Everything depends on perception. For example Murder. In cold blood it is wrong, but in self defense it is self defense. However one can still argue over whether it was absolutely necessary.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:48 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Does that make sense? If not I say don't worry about it. I have a lot on my mind today so I might not be entirely coherent in my responses.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:49 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Just God's truth and Word. We're human- so we are imperfect and are not capable of an absolute- try as we may.
    ..Sarah..

Answer by ..Sarah.. at 1:50 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I do believe that white is white and black is black I do not believe in gray so yes I think that there are moral absolute .
    There is also God's view of moral and man's view of moral and they are opposite in most cases.
    Now we ourselves can never be absolute without God. This is my point of view :- )
    Vero529

Answer by Vero529 at 1:54 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I agree that the statement "There is no such thing as a moral absolute" is in itself an absolute statement. It disproves itself.

I personally believe that there are moral absolutes.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 1:57 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Sure there are. Something like murder could be left up to perception - like mentioned above - but what about other things? Rape? Enslavement? Genocide? If anyone can give me an example where those would be subject to circumstance --- I'd sure like to hear it.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 2:08 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Not sexually abusing children is a moral absolute. So I'm going to go with yes on this one.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 2:25 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• deadheadjen......what about mental illness? What about tribes of natives in Africa and such who do not see a problem with sexually abusing a child because of some magic spell they think they are casting? Or societies who marry off 12 year olds? THOSE people would be doing it because of how they were raised, not out of malice. So......still not an absolute.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 2:33 PM on Aug. 17, 2009