Our family loves dogs. Our Golden Retriever of 10 years just passed away in June and we are thinking of getting a new dog. Looking for suggestions of types of dogs. This time I would love to get a medium to small breed but not a high energy type dog. Any suggestions? We plan to look at resues or animal shelters but ideas of breeds would be helpful first. Thank you!

We have had a dog or more than one in our home over the last 21 years but they have always been a BIG dog. Help!

MamaWildCat

Asked by MamaWildCat at 1:38 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Pets

• me n hubby are planning to get a yorkie.those are small and really lovable.they have energy but all dogs do. they stay small.also chihuahua(i think thats how you spell it) are cute and lovable.ill try and find a site of different types of small dogs for you and ill write it
    Desi2Sweet

Answer by Desi2Sweet at 1:58 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• 1.http://www.dogguide.net/medium-small-dogs.php
    2.http://www.dogguide.net/small-dogs.php

the 1st one is medium-small dogs and the 2nd one is small dogs.good luck!
    Desi2Sweet

Answer by Desi2Sweet at 2:04 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I wouldn't go with any small breed as they can be very hyper and full of energy( I have two lol). Most shelters do evaluations on their dogs so they should be able to match you up with a dog that is more of what you are looking for.
    When it comes to personality, especially when adopting a dog, you cant always go by breed. If you get a puppy, they will be full of energy and hyper regardless of what breed it is so I would go with an older dog as well.
    Good luck on your findings and thank you for adopting :)
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 2:59 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• We love German Shepherds. They aren't quite as big as retrievers and are very good-natured.
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 3:44 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Terriers of any kind are high strung and like to run and play ALOT, Chihuahuas dont always like kids, they are usually a one person dog, not so much a family dog, and they dont like to be left alone, at all (they are nervous dogs) If you are looking at a shelter or a rescue, a mixed breed can be a very good choice. Blue heelers or austrailian shephards can be a great choice for a family. Good luck, I hope you find a great new pet and Im sorry you lost your GR, loosing a family pet is always hard.
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 4:07 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• How about an older dog instead of a puppy? Seniors are hard to get a new home from but most still have a lot of life in them. They may be more laid back depending on their personality but they will settle down faster than a puppy will.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 6:19 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I would sincerely point out that heelers ARE a VERY high energy dog. We've had several over the last few years, and are very hard to train. However, we do have a border collie/ australian shepherd mix. She is a great, medium family dog. At around 40lbs, she's just the right size. She has a medium length coat that sheds very minimally. We keep her brushed, and that cuts down on it massively. However, I would NOT suggest getting a pure aussie, as they too are a hard-knock knothead most of the time. Cattle dogs are harder to train than a herding dog, based on the fact that they were bred to keep doing their job despite how ever many times they're kicked in the face, so you really have to put the fear of God in them from the get-go, which can be hard unless you find a puppy that's weaned early.

I know that collies *lassie kind* are relatively big, but are really gentle, and make great companions. We've got one that showed up,
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 7:00 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• here last summer, and he won't leave! He is the life of the party though, and I think that's because the other dogs laugh at him! ; ) However, they do shed if they're not brushed out regularly and thoroughly.

Let me know if I can help you find a different breed!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 7:03 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I have an american eskimo dog. She's relatively laid-back, not a yapper. I've only had one so I can't represent the entire breed. But she's a good dog. Sheds a little, but not too bad. My mom has a german shepherd that sheds more than my eskie. Or shetland sheepdog? They're like miniature collies.

ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 11:04 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Keep us updated!!! :)
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 1:17 AM on Aug. 18, 2009