Homeschoolers - When do you start?

Trying a positive question for homeschoolers. LOL

When do you start back to school (or have you started already or do you homeschool year-round)?

momof3inTN

Asked by momof3inTN at 1:46 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in

• Year round here, too. The summers here are brutal - too hot to get out & do anything. Mosquitoes get pretty intimidating, too, and 2 of my kiddoes are allergic.

So, instead of turning to mush all summer, my kids do school (on a smaller scale) so that inthe fall & spring - when the weather is nice - they can get out & enjoy it.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 2:57 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• We homeschool year-round. We take a break from just before Thanksgiving until just after New Year's and then another break around the time my husband has his spring break from school. We always start the next grade level whenever the kids are ready to advance (this year my oldest started some 4th grade materials in June and others in August and my younger son has just started some 3rd grade stuff - but he's only in 2nd grade).
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 1:49 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• We do it pretty much year round. A little more laid back during the summer since there are so many activities to do then, like swim team, library classes, bowling leagues, etc. We don't follow a super rigid schedule - it just works better for us that way.
    happy1mom

Answer by happy1mom at 1:49 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• This is going to be my first year officially home-schooling, (my oldest is starting kinder). We will start next week when the public school starts back up, but will probably do a more year round schedule from here on out. I have already started logging a lot of the reading and art projects that we've done the last couple weeks, just to get used to recording everything. That's going to be my biggest challenge, as I'm not used to such meticulous record keeping.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 4:59 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I don't homeschool year-round. We have plenty of summer activities and their PS friends do too. We enjoy camping in the summer, riding horse, swimming, library activities, area festivals and fairs, archery and ball leagues. I also take time to grow two large gardens and raise chickens. If I homeschooled all year around it would kill me. The kids keep up on their reading and they learn a lot of life skills in the summer like gardening, cooking, caring for animals and a household.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 6:07 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• We don't! Because we don't "do school", we just LEARN. Learning doesn't start and stop (unless you think of birth the start of learning and death as the end). We learn from everything we do - gardening, catching butterflies, cooking, science experiments, sports, fishing, reading, playing games, watching birds...everything...all year round. "Schoolwork" may be a chore and therefore need to have a beginning & an end to make it tolerable, but LEARNING is not. Learning is fun! Why would we want to do it part time? Besides, why should the things we do indoors in the winter or that we read in a book count as "school" and the things we do outdoors in summer or the things that are more "fun" not count? That doesn't seem right! We learn more about nature (biology, natural history, geology, weather, etc.) in the summer simply because we are outside more. And we learn it more thoroughly than if we had just read about it in a book.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 7:23 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• We homeschool yr round, taking off about half of December, and then we take off a week in the spring, a week in the summer, and a day off here and there as needed. Taking summers off, now how will that prepare them for the "real world"? LOL
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 7:43 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• We school year-round wtih breaks for holidays & a month off between grades. That way we can take breaks when needed (when we get sick, someone dies, we move, etc.). We actually just took a break because both the kids & I got a stomach bug. None of us felt like doing school when we were all sitting here feeling nauseated. So, we read books, played games, and watched educational DVDs. When dd was feeling ok & ds & I were sick, she worked on the books that she's creating on Astronomy & the Crusades (final projects for those topics).
    busygoddess

Answer by busygoddess at 9:23 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• We started in July.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• This will be our first year as well, kindergarten for our 5 yr old and pre-k for our 4yr old, we will be starting sept. 14th
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 11:38 PM on Aug. 17, 2009