Should the bible be taught in public schools?

Just saw an article here where Texas will have it in the public school curriculum. Not as an option, but REQUIRED. What do you guys think?
I think I'd pull my kids out of school so fast their heads would spin!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:47 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I taught Bible as literature to my literature students without using it as a bully pulpit for my religious beliefs. Why? They needed to know the Bible stories so that the could recognize the literary allusions in the literature they were studying. If the reader doesn't have the knowledge to recognize the allusion, he or she will miss a vital part of the story.

In that facet, I fully support the teaching of the Bible in the public classroom. In a religious facet, as a Christian, I would be hesitant to support it.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 5:42 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• well if they teach christianity they should teach other religions as well. But I too would pull my LO out of school.
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 1:48 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!!
    LuvMyBoyzz

Answer by LuvMyBoyzz at 1:51 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• My junior high school had a "world religions" class that was required. All religions, including Christianity, were discussed. You can't discuss the history of the world without discussing religion. However, that is quite different than teaching one religion. Are you sure your information is correct?
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 1:53 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I'd like to see this article. I live in TX & haven't heard anything about it. I know that some school districts offer it as an elective, but that's it. No public school can make Bible a required class -- it violates the law.

To answer your ?, though, nope, I don't think it should be (required or as an elective). I see nothing wrong with teaching a religion from a THEORETICAL point of view... in fact, I think it's a WONDERFUL idea....IF you're going to offer equal classtime to teach ALL religions.

A Bible class? No. A World Religions class? Absolutely!

There are several problems there, though... the main one being that parents of "this" religion wouldn't want their children learning about "that" religion.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 1:55 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• As long as it's not only the Bible that is exclusively "required", I wouldn't have a problem. I don't mind my child being educated on many different religions/topics/subjects. But, if it's only the Bible that is required, then no. I don't think anyone should shun religion in schools, even not being religious or belonging to any religion myself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:58 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Required? Hell no. In an optional religious studies course? Of course!
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 2:01 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Required? No. As an option, perhaps as an elective class. Absolutely.
    tiny_mama

Answer by tiny_mama at 2:04 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I think as long as they teach about other religions/beliefs as well.
    MandyOs

Answer by MandyOs at 2:07 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• The Bible is a foundational document in Western culture. If you know nothing of the Bible, then much of Western history and literature is going to be inaccessible to you. For example, I just picked up an old college anthology of short fiction. There were 5 references to Biblical themes or stories in just the list of titles. If students are going to have any understanding of Western history or literature they need to study both the Bible, and Greek and Roman mythology.
    Bluebonnet72

Answer by Bluebonnet72 at 2:09 PM on Aug. 17, 2009