has anyone else been criticized for NOT spanking their children

we choose not to spank.. i cannot believe the grief i get from some of my freinds and people i know for this choice.. i really dont care if people online bash me but it annoys me when others i know think they feel the need to bash me for shoocing not to spank.. just wondering if anyone else has gone through this

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 1:47 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• My sil does not spank either and her kids are rotten. Hate to say it, but it's true.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:50 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Honestly, the only bashing i have ever gotten from my parenting choices is from cafemom. I guess they etiher agree wtih me or just dont' make a big deal out of it to my face. I do spank from time to time and no one has yelled at me for it and I do time out as well and no one says it's not good enough. Is it friends or family or just co-workers or aquaintences?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:51 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Why are they critisizing you? Is your disciplining techniques NOT working?

I wouldn't necessarily critsize you for not spanking, but I might mention other non spanking kinds of discipline that might work better than than what you're doing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:10 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• OH YES I HAVE!

I have been told (here on CM) that my daughter most likely behaves horribly because i don't spank. I was told that all children who are not spanked are the ones who misbehave. My daughter is an ANGEL!!!!! She is so precious & sweet! She couldn't hurt a fly, & she always listens & behaves. I thought those were very ignorant comments. And also felt those moms were trying to attack me. Maybe deep down they felt guilty for spanking, & just did not want to believe that you actually can discipline very well without raising a hand. Whatever though, i do not spank. I %100 believe that there are much better effective methods than harming your own child, & i feel pretty strong about that.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:21 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I think tons of Mom's on hear actually "brag" about spanking. I dont' want to have to spank my child, I hope I never have to but I am not against it. It just seems like on CM its widely ok to hit as a first form of Punishment. Makes me sad. Anyway, you do what YOU Think is right and screw anyone else.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:29 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I have never experienced this. We do not spank our children, nor do we scream at them either. My children are all very well behaved. I see no need for spanking. Don't let others get you down.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:11 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• my son was spanked maybe twice when he was little. He is 9 and when he does something bad he loses a privilege or allowance.  He is very polite at a family function yesterday my nephew was biting his mom and hiting her.  He does it all the time he does because he gets away with it.  I would love to be able to spank him!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:41 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

***
    That may not have anything to do with her choice not to spank. I know plenty of kids who were spanked, and they are the biggest brats you'd ever meet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:48 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• * maxsmom11807
    I think tons of Mom's on hear actually "brag" about spanking. I dont' want to have to spank my child, I hope I never have to but I am not against it. It just seems like on CM its widely ok to hit as a first form of Punishment. Makes me sad. Anyway, you do what YOU Think is right and screw anyone else.

I notice that too. It's disturbing. It's one thing to spank your kid, but when you BRAG about it, that's disturbing.

I choose not to spank, but I haven't been criticized for my decision, other than on cafemom.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 3:50 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I had a friend take me to the side and tell me that I needed to start spanking, because my child was spoiled and was going to get worse. At the time I had a ten month old and a two year old. I paused, and ask if she could give me specifics. She started talking about how she would snatch toys from other kids, scream if someone took the toy to give it back... She said my two year old was pretty well behaved and we had gotten lucky. THAT'S WHEN I REALIZED SHE WAS TELLING ME TO SPANK THE BABY. I simply told her we do not hit babies. Oh, but my two year old was well behaved because of luck, not because of the blood sweat and tears we had invested in discipline...

I think people get criticized for everything. So I don't stress about it. I know spanked kids who are rotten, I know nonspanked kids who are rotten. So don't tell me spanking makes the difference! You can spank without disciplining.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 4:06 PM on Aug. 17, 2009