How can I find out more information on a used car seat?

A friend gave me a used car seat that's larger than the one I'm currently using. It didn't come with any instructions, I can't seem to locate any kind of serial number. I looked it over & on the back of it on the plastic I found this, 'Do not use after December 2007.' This was printed on the plastic when it was made. Now I'm really hesitant to put my daughter in this. She's getting close to outgrowing her current carseat & I'd like to avoid shelling out a lot of money for a brand new carseat but if this one isn't safe I'm sure not going to use it!!! If anyone can make any recommendations I'm all ears! If you have any other questions please feel free to send me a message. Thank you!

aarcuda

Asked by aarcuda at 1:48 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They have expiration dates because the plastic can become brittle and break apart in a collision. I wouldn't use it. I'm sorry, because they do run high and it stinks when you have to get a new one.
    LisaPisa

Answer by LisaPisa at 1:52 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• My recommendation, take it to the police department and ask them to install and inspect it. They ****should**** notice the date and advise you from there. Most have programs where they will give you a free seat. If not, ask them what they recommend for you to do so you can get a safe seat properly installed cheaply.

If it's expired, don't use it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:01 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• You can also get a basic seat for about $50 at walmart. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but it meets basic safety standards.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:02 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Get rid of the used one. You found where it hasn't been a safe seat for 2 years!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:59 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I'd destroy and discard the seat. It is not safe to use. You can purchase a convertible seat for as little as $50 that will last you for a while. Trust me, I know about money being tight, but you can't put a price on safety.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:18 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Thank you to everyone who took the time to send me your answers!!! I really appreciate it! I'll look into getting a new & safer car seat as soon as possible.
    aarcuda

Answer by aarcuda at 7:45 PM on Aug. 17, 2009