Did anyone get soap in their mouth when they were a child for swearing? Does anyone still put soap in their kids mouth?

when i was younger it seemed like it was thing to do.. i remeber my mom putting it our mouths if we swore.. YUCK! I will not do this to my children.. i dont know anyone who still does this just wondering if it was still a common pracitce or if my generation hated it so much we decided never to do it to our kids..

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 1:49 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• Never tasted the stuff, and my kids haven't either (on purpose).

Reminds me of "Christmas Story" - ......."It was......the soap...."
    happy1mom

Answer by happy1mom at 1:52 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• In my state it is considered child abuse. I used to until I heard this from a friend who was having to go to parenting classes through DFACS. It is considered as introducing a toxin into the chiold which I think is a load of crap since it's non toxic. Anyway we use white vinager instead now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:57 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Nope...I never got the soap in my mouth. I would never do this to my son either. Its a horrible way to teach them a lesson, that probably wouldnt even work.
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 1:57 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I went to a private Christian school and I remember they used to do this, but I never had it and I wouldn't do it to my kids either. I haven't had a problem with language with my kids, yet.

Answer by missanc at 2:27 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Yes, my cousin and I constantly had soap or tabasco sauce in our mouths growing up. Only when we said bad words. And, I'll tell you one thing, to this day I do not say any cuss words other than Hell in front of my mother. And, I have absolutely no problem using it on my own son.
    ravensgirl83

Answer by ravensgirl83 at 2:39 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Yes I did. Yes I do.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 2:44 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• i never had it and id never do it
    mama2myAna

Answer by mama2myAna at 2:57 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• My father used ivory once. I told my son about it how lucky he is that it isn't done anymore. I think if you pulled moms in various age groups the moms who are older would say they had it done where as the moms in their 20's probably haven't.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 3:37 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I just looked at my soap package. It says do not ingest, and to contact poison control is ingested. Markers are nontoxic, but I wouldn't let my kids eat them.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 4:01 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Yes and yes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:06 PM on Aug. 17, 2009