how do I deal with my kids (15 & 13) who are constantly nagging me for a cell phone which I do not think they need right now - it is very frustrating when all their friends have one - that does not help me at all

iowamom57

Asked by iowamom57 at 1:49 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Tell them they can have one when they get a job && pay for it themselves, end of story. If they keep nagging you for it now, then they will be 18 before they're allowed to have one.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 1:57 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• No is no, I dont care what your friends have, if you can pay for it...you can get one but not before then or before I get you one. I dont know why you dont want them to have one so I gave a few examples... My oldest DD didnt get hers until 16, she wanted one before too but NOT, just stick to you word. I like her to have one, its easy to get a hold of her when she is out, she is now 17 and if she finds herself in a situation, she can call for help or her dad and myself to get her.. I have unlimited texting and calling so my bill does not go up and I dont have internet on it...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:57 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• i dont think its a bad idea. i mean if they are going to hang out with friends and everything and theres no adults. like i went to the mall all the time with friends and one of our parents would pick them up. but...i mean what if they are out and something happens and they need to call 911 or you or something? im not saying get an expensive phone with an expensive plan, like a prepaid phone that they can use for emergencies and stuff.....but its up to you, thats just my opinion
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:58 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Mine do the same thing. I tell them no. If they were driving or had to walk a mile home from school that would be one thing. But there's no need for one now.
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 2:05 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• My 13 year old has a cell phone. My 8 year old keeps asking for one. There is no way the 8 year old is getting a cell phone. I just laugh when she asks. We decided for our family, that a firefly type phone (one that limits who you can call and get calls from) was appropriate at age 10, and a regular phone at 12. That was the decision for our family.
    You know your children, their needs and abilities better then anyone. If you think they shouldn't have a phone right now, just say, "The decision for our family is NO." When my daughter started asking, "When can I have internet access in my room," I told her, "when you go to college in your dorm room. " It just isn't something we see as a wise choice no matter how many of her friends have it. It is okay to tell your child that you have made the best decision for your family, and other families may choose differently.
    Bluebonnet72

Answer by Bluebonnet72 at 2:49 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• tell them they can have one when they have a job and pay for it themselves!!!
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:23 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• My kids can have a cell phone when they can get it in their own name and pay for it themselves. Thats exactly what I tell my 6 year old when he wants a phone.
    SabrinaL

Answer by SabrinaL at 3:24 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Our 13 yr old is doing the same thing. He claims he's the only one in his class that doesn't have one. I just tell him, he will have to have a part time job first and keep his grades up , and when he's 16 he can have one. Until then he can enjoy his dirtbike, jet ski's, and the jeep he and his Dad are redoing so he will have a car when he's 16.. End of sentence, no discussions period. You're the parent, make it clear....
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 3:50 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I have been having the same argument with my teenagers, they are the same age as yours. I dont think they actually NEED a cell phone, I know where they are and who they are with all the time. I have made a deal though, they have to EARN the phone, and in order to get the phone they have to get straight A's. I know they are capable, so if they want the phone, I want the grades.
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 3:59 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• You are the adult. Stick to your guns.
    BlingDiva

Answer by BlingDiva at 4:51 PM on Aug. 17, 2009