Why is it financially its the step moms responsibility but everything else it isnt her child?

I have seen this toooo many times on here and in life even in my own life..Why is it when the new wife marrys a hubby IF he gets behind on child support, a layoff or whatever reason its THERE bill to pay. And even though she works when tax time comes she should do the right thing and file jointly and let the arrears get paid? BUT when it comes to making decisions regarding step child, discipline rules or any of that STEP CHILD IS NOT YOUR CHILD you have no rights in any of it? I dont get it. I say this because my hub Has a BM like this hes behind a few months and he said your wife should pay it than but than why do we have to fight her ass in court to see him because shes bitter and the first thing out of her mouth is she isnt sh&% to my child..It never fails to amaze me how some women are!

And yes honestly hub knows I am not paying the bill with my hard earned money or my taxes that my child needs its his bill.

NIKKIANDYBABY

Asked by NIKKIANDYBABY at 1:53 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Money & Work

• well technically she can sue him and it can come from your account
    you married him so there for your income is his
    sorry
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:00 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• wow that really sucks,the answer is that we are in america and evreyone has the welfare mentality "you owe me BUT! i dont have to do anything or give up any of my rights" plus us girls can be so mean when we want to.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 2:02 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• anonymous she cant sue him for 1200 in California they would laugh at her. They told him to pay a extra $50.00 a mnth. We have seperate accounts and file seperatly. I can understand if he was 20k past duie but god 1300 hell catch up!

Yes it doesnt matter if I married him or not. We have our jobs, our money, we go half on all bills so there is no conflict and that is not my bill just like discipling him is not my duty!
    NIKKIANDYBABY

Answer by NIKKIANDYBABY at 2:04 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• When I married my ex he was behind in child support, his 1st wife tried to sue because I have a very large inheritance in a bank account. BUT I had the records to prove it was mine and the judge ruled in our favor - she couldn't touch it. I imagine if you filed taxes separately they wouldn't be able to take your return, but you probably wouldn't come out any better from filing separate than joint.

Answer by missanc at 2:11 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• You can file "innocent spouse" on your taxes and they can't touch it.
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 2:19 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• we are kinda int eh same situation.. my SO is behind is his support, he owns his own business so things go from good to slow in a matter of days!. .plus he is still behind from when they first seperated and they didnt go through the courts... he paied her cash and she told the courts he enver paid.. so with no proof they believed her over him.. LONG story there! so a few monthe ago when he ahdnt made a payment yet for the month she took him to court and tied to make it orderd that i get a JOB! becuase im a SAHM! it was hilarious.. the judge had to hold back his laugh! my so was only 3 days late making a payment when she made the court date... it was over a holiday weekend so he couldnt ahve paid on time! by the time we had went to court he had paid 3times the amount due for the month.. jsut to piss her off and make her look bad...
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 2:26 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Hmmm, I've been married to DH for 5 years, he was laid off for the last few months and we got behind. The state cannot collect the money from my paychecks, nor can they take if from my own personal checking acct (which I have separate from DH's account). When we file our taxes jointly if I have made any money that year and am therefore owed money from our return I file an injured spouse form.

TBH, I think the majority of the time if the step mom is paying through her employment or through her tax returns it's due to her lack of education on how the system works. They WILL take advantage of you if you DON'T know your rights. Educate yourself on what they are and are not allowed to do and you will be better protected. I honestly know the state agencies policies and procedures better than their own employees because I've bothered to read them.
    Jafra_mommy

Answer by Jafra_mommy at 3:02 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Also my situation is quite unique..My hub cheated and knocked up this girl .They hardly know one another. he put himself on child support and went for visitatijon and joint custody. We worked on our marriage and I decided to stay. But this child is financially not my responsibility.
    NIKKIANDYBABY

Answer by NIKKIANDYBABY at 3:02 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• unfortunately when you marry, his debts become yours. I'd recommend filing the innocent spouse to protect yourself. custody battles and divorces have a nasty habbit of getting ugly. Sucks, but just how it tends to be.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:43 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I am glad that this debt is not my debt they cant do anything to my bank accont an we always filed seperatly not jointly its legal => and i claim my kids!
    NIKKIANDYBABY

Answer by NIKKIANDYBABY at 3:49 PM on Aug. 17, 2009