Tricks on getting her to stop sucking fingers

She will be 4 in a couple weeks and she wont stop sucking on her fingers. If it isn't her fingers it is anything in her hands, she just sticks it in her mouth. I am thinking if she got a shock of something tasting bad on her fingers she would stop. Any suggestions? And yes we have looked into it being emotional but cannot find anything that might cause it.

chrissifaye

Asked by chrissifaye at 2:07 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• vinager its foul tasting even once dried..you can use any type...good luck
    connorsmom22607

Answer by connorsmom22607 at 2:11 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• There is nothing you can do to stop it that won't have repercussions. They eventually stop on their own. It is self comforting. You can set limits though. For instance she can't suck at the table, or in front of TV, while playing outside. She can suck only in her room. For most kids this is enough to limit the suck time to bedtimes. My grandson sucked his wrist until he was 5. I was getting concerned he would go to school doing it...but he just stopped one day. Every now and again when checking on him before I go to bed I will see his wriost in his mouth. Dentists get concerned but the fact is you can't take away a body part and bad tastes usually are not deterrent enough. Eventually they out grown it on their own.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:16 PM on Aug. 17, 2009