I'm looking for a good video monitor - any suggestions?

Ideally I don't want to spend a fortune, but I want one that works. I'd love on with a handheld thing that I can carry from room to room easily if necessary. Let me know what kind you have and if you like it - thanks!

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 2:19 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have the Summer Infant Day & Night Handheld Color Video Monitor 1.8
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:24 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• was less than $200 at target.... we've had for over 2 years with no problems. the audio is lovely and the video is pretty good.... color is STUPID though since its only color when the lights are on. i dont ever sit and watch him play on the monitor, LOL. i needed it cuz he had terrible uncontrolled asthma and I didnt want to run in every 5 seconds to check on him, since i was, and getting no sleep. now i can monitor him nicely from my own bed and especially when he's on steroids and not sleeping good, i can see what he is up to without risking waking him up by opening his door
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:26 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I have the same one hibbingmom has. I love it. My 3yr old and 10mo old share a room so I like I can check on the baby without going in there and waking anyone up!

The only issue we've had with ours so far is that the neighbors 5 houses down have the same one, and I can see their monitor. No sound, but I can see them, and I'm sure they can see me (I haven't talked to them to find out yet.. but I assume they can.) But we stay on the A channel and there's no interferance or anything. They're on channel B and I see theirs clear as I see our own. So if anything that just tells ya it has good range ;)

It's hand held, I carry it around everywhere, even out back when we've got the bonfire going after the kids are in bed. Color is great during the day, the light is so neat at night cause in the room you can't see, but you can see them. And the sound is good, I can hear my son softly snoring right now as he's napping.
    KandiceN

Answer by KandiceN at 2:58 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I have the Summer Infant one, which isn't the hand-held type. It sometimes gets bad reception (bad static!), but the video picture has always been great. Try looking on Ebay or craigslist, although the warranty may not apply.
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 2:59 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I've been through 5 brands. The only one that's any good is the Summer. I've had one for three years now and our second one for 16 months. Love them. They have 2 channels so you can have two running at once if you end up needing to.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:19 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• We have the SUmmer one. . We've been using it for months now and we leave it on all day and night. It has been great but it does interfere with our digital cordless phone.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 5:21 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Those things are scary. Predators can drive by with a special gadget and watch your baby/room.....plus like the other poster said other people in the neighborhood can tap into yours accidently....And if its things like breathing you want to see, its hard to see on a monitor anyways.I would recommend the Angelcare Motion monitor...it was 130..cheaper than video monitors...it was the best purchase I made.....It will let you know if baby is not moving/breathing in 15 seconds...and then after the SIDS age is over it can stil be used in toddler years to know if your child gets out of bed and leaves the room.
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 11:40 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I realize that if someone tries hard enough they can probably figure out a way to break into my signal and see my LO but I just can't live my life worrying about EVERYTHING like that....I want to be able to see her and the odds of someone looking at her like that are pretty low. I appreciate the warning but I gotta do what I gotta do!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 10:48 AM on Aug. 18, 2009