How should I introduce formula to my son?

He is 5 months and one week. He gets quite gassy - where either of us sleep at night. I think this might be normal, but I'm not sure. So to introduce (powdered, Nestle Good Start) formula slowly (he has been breast fed until now) I figured I would combine both in a bottle. I did this last night and he was so gassy and pushing to toot. Maybe it would be better to breast feed during the day and give a strictly formula bottle at night. We want to stop breast feeding at around 6 months, and also start solids at the same time. We want to get pregnant again soon. We are wanting to start slowly on formula now so we are not starting solids and formula at the same time.

Also, he still wakes up every 2 hours at night and truly does eat every time. He has never slept through the night. Perhaps my breast milk just isn't enough for him. I don't know, but I'm tired.

Question: What do you thin

NewMom311

Asked by NewMom311 at 2:22 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started my son on formula when he was 3 months old because my body stopped making breastmilk. I started with 4oz at a time your son is alot older so you might want to try more. I would put him on my breast and let him drink for a second and then put the bottle in his mouth. I know switching will make them constipated and gasey so i put a half of teaspoon of dark karo in there to help him. You dont have to use that though. They also make a formula for gasey babies that might be a little easier for him at first. I did the opposite though formula during the day and breastmilk at night so i wouldnt have to get out of bed to make a bottle. I guess you will just have to see what works best for you. Good Luck!!!!
    bittersweetqt

Answer by bittersweetqt at 3:16 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• you have come so far. dont quit now. my baby is jult like yours. 2 wks agophe slept thru the nite 5 hrs. but before that he woke up every 2 hrs. you can still bf and get pregnant. but if you wnat you can do like 1 oz formula the rest bm until all the bottle is formula.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:18 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• i would nurse on demand. I would not use formula at all. Why do you want to stop nursing? You can still get PG while nursing. Once you start using formula you will notyice a change-might not poop as much or poop too much or have a hard time pooping.

My nirse nursed during the day every 2 hours and at night he would 5 hours between nursing. It does get better and easier.

If you do use formula at least get the organic kind.

https://babyorganic.com/cart.php?target=main&page=products&XSID=4768b57e2cc6fca9bf10b5501f71bf95

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:52 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• If the only reason that you're wanting to stop BFing is to get pregnant again, it's a myth that it prevents pregnancy. Once you introduce solids and the baby naturally stops nursing as much, your fertility goes up. I got pregnant with baby #2 while sill nursing baby #1 and continued to nurse her until just 2 months before delivering the second baby.

Formula tends to make babies way gassier than breast milk. But, you can give gas drops. All of my babies, though breast fed, needed gas drops. My youngest is 16 months old and still needs gas drops before bed.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:03 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Oh, and I've read that the Nestle formula is different than all of the generics, Enfamil, and Similac and that many babies have trouble digesting the Nestle. The Parent's Choice (WalMart's generic) produces the least amount of air bubbles when you mix it than any of the others.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:05 PM on Aug. 17, 2009