Hurricanes are Coming...we know this NOW...

Ok...you can see them now. One TS hit florida today and is heading up through Alabama, two more are still aways out. Ana will hit the tip of florida on Thursday. THURSDAY...that still gives you 3 days or more before it hits the gulf coast. I live in Lower Alabama. We have beeen hearing about these storms since they were spotted off of AFRICA and all the local News stations are telling us (ad nauseum) what we need to do to prepare and be ready. They are also telling us (over and over and over) that when you go to shelters YOU have to bring the supplies for YOUR family. Thats how it works. Thats how it HAS worked FOREVER. This happens EVERY year...so my question...

Did you know that warnings were given this far in advance AND that people are expected to bring their own supplies? Do you think that the gov't should be responsible for feeding and supplying bedding for those in shelters? And if so, for how long?

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 2:23 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• i think they should supply the bedding, but if you live in a place you should have the foods and water and everything and be prepared. but once you run out of that stuff then the gov. should help you out. i live right on the coast in va and we have been hearing about the hurricanes for a while now. since they were spotted off africa.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:28 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Tell that to the old man who served our country and got shit on when he came home too messed up to get a job the man who cant get a good nights sleep because he is waking up dreaming about killings the man who only got a lil over $800 a month in SSI and has rent bills etc etc due I am not saying all people should get handouts but lets get real here people who need it need it ...dammit we are paying for a war I think older people need help too

Anonymous

• How do they know how much food to have? Who pays for it? Who SERVES it or divvies it up? These are only supposed to be shelters to get you through the hurricane! There are SO many shelters. Where does the linen come from? Wheredoes it go to? The logistics of that is crazy! I get the HELP after, but I am wondering what the plan is in place to prevent another Katrina incident.  4 yrs later and people still in FEMA trailers is NUTS.  There has to be a point when personal responsibility steps up and meets the govt HELP half way!!!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 2:32 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• my whole family is military. my dad my grandfather all my uncles and so is hubbys family, and my husband is in the army right now scheduled to deploy soon. but you should still be prepared. like people who live in tornado alley should be prepared for a tornado. if where you live always gets flooded be prepared. and what the hell does the old military man have to do with knowing about a hurricane coming and being prepared??? some people do need help and if they need it it should be given, but ... if you have the means to prepare do it. and if you cant do everything to be prepared do as much as you can
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:36 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• momof030404--

I have no doubt you will heed the evacuation orders and prepare accordingly for your family--it's what responsible people do! Hope you make it through unscathed!!! :o)

The only people (as a group) that did not heed the warnings and evacuate is NOLA!!! Mississippi got the brunt of the Katrina, and they were up and rebuilding, getting back on their feet, and moving on with their lives within MONTHS, as opposed to SOME of the people from NOLA--whom, 4 YEARS later are still whining over this that and the other as a "Katrina victim."

That SAME year (2005) FOUR MAJOR hurricanes hit Florida...and within DAYS people were getting their lives back in order--even after Category 5 Hurricane Andrew hit Florida in 1992!!! There were no stories of looting, murders and rapes following the hurricanes making landfall like there were in NOLA.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:39 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• That SAME year (2005) FOUR MAJOR hurricanes hit Florida...and within DAYS people were getting their lives back in order--even after Category 5 Hurricane Andrew hit Florida in 1992!!! There were no stories of looting, murders and rapes following the hurricanes making landfall like there were in NOLA.

thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:41 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I have no problem with tax dollars going to help those that truly need it. HOWEVER, the bulk of people don't need it. They should be responsible for themselves. There is only so much a city can do to help people in a crisis. It is truly PATHETIC that they actually have to tell people to be prepared to help themselves!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 2:44 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I guess thats my point Lori. I am trying to understand how the Katrina debacle was Bush's fault! I thought maybe people didn't understand how far in advance you know and what you are supposed to bring to shelters. I also am really interested in whether people think the gov't SHOULD be providing all of this. I just don't think they should. the non perishable things that fill my hurricane box are things like Tuna and Ramen and spaghetti o's. CHEAP stuff. And Gallon's of water don't cost much more!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 2:48 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Yeah knew this but as a former residant of florida I do not evecuate unless it is 3 or 4. Shelters are not the greatest I have learned and I can drive to my parents house in 16 hours, when I lived there.
    Sadly most people do not evacuate unless the warning is a major hurricane just a day or two away now, because they are tired of the hurricane's turning and they having to prepare for nothing.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 2:48 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Momo, we have been through 4 hurricanes, living on the east coast... Isabelle was our hardest 'hit'. We lost our roof, most of our trees, some windows, and some flooding... My daughter and I evacuated. My hubby had to stay on base and ensure all was secure...It never ceases to amaze me how people do NOT take hurricane coverage, their early warning, and preparation seriously. But then AFTER they have been through it, they rush to cry out for the government to help them. It just amazes me.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:50 PM on Aug. 17, 2009