Can you clear up my confusion?

Is it okay to put a baby to sleep with a bottle? If not, what is the difference between him drinking his bottle in bed and me holding him while he drinks it then putting him to bed? What causes their teeth to rot? I am not sure it makes a difference but it is 75% breastmilk 25% formula

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:24 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I always just take the bottle away when they stop drinking and fall asleep... .. Just make sure to brush their teeth or gums in the morning... My 4 kids teeth were fine ~ Good luck (=
    SweetAkMom

Answer by SweetAkMom at 2:29 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• The difference is them falling asleep with milk IN their mouth, which then pools around their teeth. There is sugar in formula, and in breastmilk too - it just happens to be natural sugar and not refined white table sugar - and that is what rots their teeth. Once my son's teeth came in, after I breastfeed him at night, I take a damp washcloth and wipe off his little teeth before I put him to bed as preparation for substituting that step in the nighttime routine to toothbrushing when he gets a few more.

Answer by missanc at 2:31 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• It has to do with milk in the mouth and body position. The milk sits on the teeth and can rot them over time. when you hold baby, he is slighly upright when drinking. He shouldn't feed himself in bed when laying flat on his back. It can be a chocking hazard and can cause/irritate ear infections. If he sits up to take the bottle, he'll finish drinking and swallowing before laying down.

Does that help?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:49 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• becouse the milk just sits on babys teeth and mouth and it does cause bad teeth,also its a bad habbit to start.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 3:56 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Like missanc says.

Also, it starts a terrible habit where they only learn to fall asleep with a bottle in their mouth. No to mention that bottles have a steady drip so your baby will get soured milk in his bed.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:59 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I know that if you put them to bed with a bottle, it will be way harder to break them of the bottle!!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 4:04 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• OP here

Thank you for all the answers. Very helpful.
    J.P

Answer by J.P at 4:31 PM on Aug. 17, 2009