Am I right to be angry?

I told my daughter to call me when she was done playing field hockey , if she needed me to pick her up. and if she didn't that I would meet her down the road . Iwas waiting for her.she never showed.So after I called home and there she was, I asked why she didn't call me to tell me tolet me know that she wasn't going to meet with me. She had a phone and she had the number. I mean she is 13 yrs old she should know to do that right. At least thats what I always tell her to do .

incarnita

Asked by incarnita at 2:35 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Yes you do have the right to be upset, but teenagers do this. It's like they space out and forget what we've told them. Just let her know you are upset and she should have remembered. Hopefully she'll remember next time. Maybe also next time tell her to call you if she needs you to pick her up....she can't forget that!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 3:43 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• For some strange unknown reason teenagers can FORGET to call home . Im not excusing it by any means, but I know I can tell mine to call me and they will forget every time. It is scientifically proven that teenagers have less common sense during the puberty yrs than a 9 year old, because of all the hormones they have running through them. I have had to write on my sons hand for him to remember to call me. It seems that during the teenage yrs we have to remind our teens for the things they should already know, alot. Tell her again how important it is for her to call you and let you know things and if she cant remember, she will be grounded. (that seemed to work for me, they call now)
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 3:22 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Either spacing out or passive aggressive behavior- using the "forgetting" as a way to control Mom. A way to get a rise out of her.

Answer by Bmat at 9:29 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• There is no right or wrong way to "feel" about things that happen in life. We do not choose our feelings, but can control how to react. But, there are good and bad ways to respond to situations. With teens, I think one needs to pick and choose when to react strongly, and when to not make a big deal out of something. I can understand how this might be annoying, but, don't think it is important enough to react with anger.

Also, I had to read your post several times to try to understand what you were saying. It did not seem that clear to me, and maybe it wasn't to your daughter. Plus, her behavior was very typical teenage behavior. Make certain next time that she understands exactly what you expect from her,. But, again, save the anger for important occasions when something really matters.
    Southernroots

Answer by Southernroots at 4:24 PM on Aug. 18, 2009