DO CHRISTIANS REALLY PREFER TO BE HOLY THAN HAPPY?

I GOT THIS STATEMENT FROM ANOTHER QUESTION POSTED TODAY, DOESN'T GOD WANT EVERYONE TO BE HAPPY, EVEN IF THEY ARE NOT HOLY BY BIBLE TERMS?

Asked by older at 2:37 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • Anon, I use my compassion for people and knowing what troubles their souls to bring to them what God might have for them in his heart and word to calm their troubles and bring them into his arms. For older, I know she struggles with how Christians view homosexuality, which is why I personalized my response just for her.

This question was not presented to be specifically about homosexulity and people should feel free to answer in any way they feel is appopriate to older's question. I'm sorry if I'm getting this question off track. If someone does not like older or the questions she presents in this forum, then perhaps it's better to just skip the questions by :-) She's reaching out to us, hoping we can learn from her. If anyone feels she can learn from you instead, reaching her in kindness and respect is the best way to go about it. IMHO of course :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 3:24 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I suppose most Christians live by the whole "put god first above all else and your life will be happy" thing.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 2:41 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I'd rather have my call and election made sure than have "happiness" as this world terms it. God sees things very differently than we do. His goal is eternity. He would rather we seek His eternal kingdom than to seek out happiness in temporal things.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 2:44 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Excellent wording Lexylex!
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 2:48 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Hi my name is Veronica Silva and I a christian and really happy because I learned tha God is with me all the time if I am with Him, He give strenght and peace in middle of any storm, He took me from an eternal death and He gave eternal life I know who I am, I know why I am here in this world amd I know where I am going when I die and all this only because one day I decided that God is more important han myself and that His love for me is unconditional, my life is complete I do not need money, relationships, success because I got God and He has me.
    I am happy no matter how cruel the people can be against christians and against God what I know is that my God , Jesus loves me and without Him I would fel empty.
    Today my life is different not because of sadness but because the joy that I have no one can ever take it away from me, no bad experiences, no devil, not persecution, no death, no angels, nothing can ever take this joy !
    Vero529

Answer by Vero529 at 2:49 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I think what you got from the other post is that Christians believe all things enjoyable to be sinful, but that isn't the case. There are just guidelines is which we are supposed to live our lives, and if something that we find enjoyable doesn't fit within those guidelines then we are to turn away from it. =)

KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 2:51 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I didn't realize we had to choose between the two.
    proud2Bmomma

Answer by proud2Bmomma at 3:00 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• The only way you are Holy is not about waht you do or don't do is about being selfcenter or godcenter
    Who is more important in your life ? You or God
    If you make of Jesus your number 1 priority then His promise is all things will be added to you. ( the things that will be added to you is things that come from God not from man : all the great plans that God has for you they will be given to you if you trust Him and nobody or anything will be able to take those things away ) Hope, eternal life, true identity, purpose, no more emptiness in the soul, love, all these things can be given only by God and the only way to get them is if we decide to trust God above ourselves.
    Vero529

Answer by Vero529 at 3:03 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I am both and IMO if you are not Holy you cannot be happy.
    drink-lover

Answer by drink-lover at 3:11 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Holiness=Happiness. Sin does not make me happy or feel good. I don't know why people need to seperate the two?

The problem here, with reference to homosexuality, I think the problem here is one Christian's group over-concern over another Christian's sin. Overcoming sin does not have to be an unhappy process. It only seems unhappy when one Christian screams to another "repent!" and attempts to be overbearing and shouts over the top of the working of the Holy Spirit in that person's life. The Holy Spirit's working to bring about repentence is always better than another Christian screaming another person into repentence. I recognise that the Holy Spirit is able to work in the lives of any Christian, if they ask and seek him and help them overcome their sin. I prefer this method lol. Allowing the Holy Spirit to mold and make your fellow Christian does not mean you're re-defining sin. (cont)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 3:13 PM on Aug. 17, 2009