How many mom's did this?

My son's 5th birthday is TODAY!!! We decided that we would keep him in pre-school another year. He's really small for his age, physically, not intellectually. I was just curious how many other mom's put their child in Kindergarten at age 6 instead...and how did that work out for you? Are there any mothers that went ahead and put their kids in kindergarten at the "right" age, and now wish they hadn't. Why or why not?

clhadley

Asked by clhadley at 2:37 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• ap.sahm,
    To have him stay in prek another year is not failing, flunking or holding back! It does not show up or count on his permanent record card. Repeating Kindergarten because a child is young and not quite ready does show up as a repeat. Another year of Kindergarten would not be recorded as a repeat. Manditory school age is 6. She is just giving him some extra time before he goes on. Kindergarten curriculum now covers what we covered in first grade! Children no longer get to play in centers and some do not even get recess anymore! They have to attend to teacher directed activities for longer and longer amounts of time. Let him have a little extra time being a carefree kid. The big school stress will come along soon enough!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 5:07 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• My son's B-day is the 28th so he would have had to be tested....I am glad now that I did not send him early.... To give him that little advantage age and size wise was a good move... Now he's the oldest instead of the youngest... Good luck with your decision.. I hope it works for him either way!!!
    SweetAkMom

Answer by SweetAkMom at 2:43 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Thanks. He was in preschool last year, and I spoke to the teacher throughout the year and she recommended that he stay one more year. I was torn. I really think we're making the right decision. He really is the smallest in his class. I think that it's so important for kids to go to school with the self-confidence that they need.....that way they don't get bullied and know that they can stand up for themselves. I've really not heard anything bad about it. I did hear of one mother(at our school) that the teacher said the same thing to her about her son that she said about mine, well, the mom decided to put her son in Kindergarten instead and then after 2 months realized that her son wasn't adapting the way that he should. So, she pulled him out and put him back into preschool and it completely messed with his head. He thought he wasn't smart enough....that's just sad.
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 2:48 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Better late than early.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:58 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• a little off topic here but i wanted to answer...

i think all children should be atleast 5 when school STARTS! not by a few months in.. i also wish they would do away with the testing.. it lets smart yet very imature children in early, and in my experiances MOSt of them cause trouble cause they cant sit still for that long and concentrate... not all but most...

i hope things work out for you... i agree children need confidance when starting school.. i still have 2 years before my oldest starts K but im already nervous!
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 2:58 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• i went to kindergarten when i was 6 as well as my daughter and SO daughter and my sons birthday is in oct and he will be 6 and in kindergarten, its all good, i have opposite problem though my son in huge, and we are finding it hard to find appropriate clothes all the boys shirts size 14/16 has skulls on them, so all skull shirts in kindgarten
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 3:25 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I wouldn't keep him out of kindergarten just because of his size.....if he not ready academically or maturity wise then yeah keep him back one more year. But if he is ready academically then I would start him in kindergarten or else he will be bored out of him mind in pre-k and he could start not liking school because it is boring....He is 5 and age wise is ready to go.....

justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 3:50 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• My DD's birthday is mid-August and though she will be the youngest in her class, we will still start her in school when she's 5. Holding a kid back leaves a stigma.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:09 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• "I wouldn't keep him out of kindergarten just because of his size.....if he not ready academically or maturity wise then yeah keep him back one more year. But if he is ready academically then I would start him in kindergarten or else he will be bored out of him mind in pre-k and he could start not liking school because it is boring....He is 5 and age wise is ready to go....."

I agree with this.. If he is smart enough to go then don't hold him back because of his size my nephew was always small for his age (he's now 7 and my son nearly towers over him and my sons only 4) and that was something we were worried about with him going to school but my SIL and Brother would have never held him back just because he was small, he was smart enough to go so they let him and guess what? He hasn't had one bit of trouble being bullied. Don't hold your kid back because you're afraid.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 4:28 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I wouldn't keep a child back because they were small for their age. Next year he might not be much bigger and will be older than the other kids. I would put him in this year with kids at his intellectual level. There are kids of all sizes in every grade and at his age he won't be teased for his size. I think you could end up making him feel bad about his size if this is the only reason you are not letting him move on. My son was 4 when he started Kindergarten. He did well because mentally and academically he was ready. He was smaller than the other kids but no one cared. He made a ton of friends.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 PM on Aug. 17, 2009